Two cores, one power suply

Echopraxia

Two cores from one power supply... yes.

Two cores from on 9v 500mA supply... probably not.

You may find that you need more current.

The good news is that you can test your cores individually with this suppy, then try the two together, and if you run out of steam the cores (maybe one, maybe both) will simply reset.

- Then you can go get a bigger supply.

/tilted/'s answer is correct. Although you *can* run 2 cores on 9v 500mA, *if* you do not have a CS, LCD or anything else that eat up your amperage (mmmm amperage). As soon as a (backlit) LCD comes into play you'll want a more to have more current available. 1A seems to be a pretty decent amount for most midibox applications (w/o motors).

1A is the limit of the stock voltage regulator. You can use a different reg, they come in 1.5A and 2A. If you want to know how much is enough, read the datasheets for all your peripherals (LCD, LEDs*how many LEDs you have, segment displays, etc) and use a calculator :) If your LEDs draw too much, then you'll need to add components to handle the extra current such as ULN2003 or diodes.

This has all been covered, try searching with some of those keywords :)

Thanks styrd. I'm still learning but that doesn't give me an excuse for not searching the forums harder. I am just glad that you guys are here to help.

Nah man, it's just a matter of knowing what to search for - I thought that a few juicey keywords might get the ball rolling :)

• 2 months later...