New feature suggestion / request!

ytsestef

Hi there, lovely SIDheads!

I know It's been a while, but I moved (as in "i live elsewhere now" :P ) and I don't have an internet connection YET.

Anyway, the MBSID works fine, I am impressed, I wrote a demo for it and I'm gonna upload it in two weeks time (when I HOPE i will be able to connect to the damn thing). I'm also going to upload some pictures of the "constructing" procedure as well as the final synth as it is now.

I have a suggestion which I *think* is pretty easy for TK to implement and quite helpful, especially for those who have the minimum Control Surface and want to control the machine via an external MIDI controller. Here goes:

Supposedly I have a MIDI controller (eg. such as behringer BCR-2000) and I have assigned the rotary encoders to control the Filter Cutoff Frequencty, the Attack Time, the Resonance, the LFO frequenct etc. Wouldn't it be lovely if the MBSID's LCD read what am I tweaking and what is its current value? (Just like if I had a full control surface, that is).

That's it. I hope this can be done one day...

Bye!

A direct mapping of incoming SysEx parameter changes to CS items isn't possible without a lot of additional program code+map tables, or a lot of calculations, which would affect the performance of the synth engine. I guess, that nobody would really like such a visualisation feature which leads to drawbacks at the audible side, or which would prevent me from adding new features in future because of a completely allocated flash

But - maybe a more powerful, because more flexible option: it would be possible to integrate a "remote control" function for button and rotary encoder functions. Are you able to send relative CCs with your MIDI controller?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Does your controller send "B0 xx 41" on clockwise encoder turns, and "B0 xx 3F" on anticlockwise turns?

Then I could easily add a function which allows to "emulate" the encoders of the MBSID CS (as I wrote: remote control)

The buttons should send MIDI controllers as well, e.g. "B0 xx 7F" if pressed, "B0 xx 00" if depressed.

MBSID won't be able to control external LEDs (the slow MIDI protocol would block the firmware too much)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Does your controller send "B0 xx 41" on clockwise encoder turns, and "B0 xx 3F" on anticlockwise turns?

Then I could easily add a function which allows to "emulate" the encoders of the MBSID CS (as I wrote: remote control)

The buttons should send MIDI controllers as well, e.g. "B0 xx 7F" if pressed, "B0 xx 00" if depressed.

MBSID won't be able to control external LEDs (the slow MIDI protocol would block the firmware too much)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

you would test this with MIOS, correct?  i have an E-mu Xboard49 with 16 knobs that send cc messages to whatever MIDI device i have it plugged into.  would this "emulation" you are talking about allow me (with my stepB CS) to control the stepC features via my MIDI controler??  sorry for the complicated question but it would be great if that is what you guys are talking about. ;D

I like this.

And as long as the peformace of the engine don't get "scrambled" it would be cool.

But i must point out, that very happy with the engine now.

And more engine features in the future is preferd in my case.

Anyway, everything you do is cool TK.

The first day with my finished SIDv2 i was amazed about the possibillities.

Iv'e owned alot of synthesizers in my time, and this configuration is really powerfull.

MbSID is just freakin awesome! icon_not_worthy.gif

Thank you for the nice words! :)

A remote control feature isn't that expensive, and it wouldn't cost much effort so long you don't expect a detailed documentation...

Btw.: for those who haven't experienced the full feature set of MBSID V2 yet, Rutger's upcoming editor will help a lot to get an oversight.

Teaster:

l_modmatrix.gif

b_seq.gif

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hehehe catch up fellas! Didn't you notice the massive log when you updated that time? I thought my local repo was screwey because it was so long I thought it'd updated the entire trunk again ;D

Unfortunately I looked at the log and went "oh, that's that editor, cool. WTF do I do with all these files anyway?" and proceded to tactically ignore it *whack*