a suggestion for a SID analog filter??

bosone

can you suggest a "simple" DIY analog filter to use with the SID?

is there some design which uses only positive voltages, the one used by sid? +5/+9/+12 V?

i have seen a lot of schematics with +/- 15V, but would mean to add other circuits for the PSU... using the same voltages as sid would be simpler... or, at least, +/- 12V!! :-)

the filter should have cutoff and Q modulable by the SID engine itself... with the appropriate modules...

thanks!

well...

i certain will not aim for a complex minimoog-type "screaming" filter...

i imagine something with a good resonance, and with 24db/octave filtering...  not just a passive lowpass/highpass 1 pole filter, for sure!

thanks for the suggestion, anyway!

another idea if the normal filter in the sid is not enough, why not just build the SwinSID and ask Swinkels for an improved Firmware with your desired Filter Settings... The AVR is about 1,70 Euro here in Germany (Reichelt.de)  ;D

Hi,

a filter that runs from only positive supply won't help much because all AOUT modules need a bipolar +-12V supply, too. But most cirquits that are specced for +-15V can run on +-12V with little or no change. So there's quite a lot to choose from in the modular world :)

[shameless ad]

If you're going for 24dB/oct, native +-12V design and mean screaming resonance, maybe this project of mine might be interesting for you:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,10765.0.html

My time was (and is) somewhat limited at the moment so this project was more or less on hold. But I'll make a few last tests and layout modifications soon and probably start a bulk order for PCBs. Total cost of parts is (rough guess) around 30 Euros, so it's a comparatively cheap and easy to build way to get a state of the art stereo VCF :)

[/shameless ad]

S

seppo, state of art is exactly what i'm after.. so you can count me in by default  :P

anyone with neat distortion circuit testemonials?

i'm looking on tonepad's Proco Rat distortion and as far as i read and listen for samples, it seems sa-ha-weet!!  :)

The rat can make some pretty sweet sounds, that's for sure.  The circuit is also very simple and runs happily off of +9V.  Built it on a breadboard, worked great;  moved it to a stripboard, and it still worked great  ;D  I was definitely tempted to build it into my SID, but it will most likely end up as a piece of outboard gear once I package it up.