MIDIbox CV PCB from suital

sonicwarrior

This is the thread to ask questions about the MIDIbox CV PCB from suital to

keep the bulk order thread clean.

Here is a picture of the PCB:

MBCV2_06.jpg

It consists of 1 CORE & 1 AOUT & 1 DINX1 & 1 bankstick on 1 PCB.

All connections for the MIDIbox CV application are directly routed and therefore there is no

header for these on the PCB. (CORE J10 -> AOUT J1 / CORE J9 -> DINX1 J1 / CORE J4 -> Bankstick)

Power connections are for +/- 15 V or +/- 12 V (makes no difference according to suital) in Dotcom or MOTM style.

You can generate the + 5 V for the digital part from V+ or a different source (Jumpers/Headers are there for both solutions).

The PCB is 130 mm x 80.3 mm big.

The first question comes from madox:

The MIDIBoxCV has a few versions. used in different ways. Could you tell me what are the limitations of this implementation? ARe all the core's headers available?

Now you are confusing me. There are not that much options for the the MIDIbox CV.  ???

The following CORE headers are on the PCB:

J2 (for + 5 V)

J7

J14

J15 (for the LCD)

J12 & J13 marked as OUT and IN (MIDI)

The following AOUT headers are on the PCB:

The 2 unnamed ones with 2 x 4 pins (I think they are for the balanced out option)

The following DINX1 headers are on the PCB:

J3 marked as "J4" (for the buttons or buttons + encoder)

Is there an alternative for the MAX6007B?

Yes, in this PCB you don't have to use a MAX6007B. The alternative is: LM385-Z2,5 (Reichelt order number).

See

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,4026.msg26638.html#msg26638 (sorry, it's in german)

The LM385 is the TO92 case right from the MAX6007B  on the picture.

Of course you should not solder both!  ;)

The documentation can be found here: http://www.sdiy.de/de/projects/midiboxcv.html

Edited by sonicwarrior

Now you are confusing me. There are not that much options for the the MIDIbox CV.  ???

OK, I have probably just misunderstood the situation with the MIDIBoxCV. I thought there had been variations on the design for driving filters, etc, or different output ranges, MUX/sample and hold? I haven't read the project documentation for at least a year, so probably I am the one who is confused.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

madox

• 3 months later...

1. It's SMD

2. It's SMD

3. I didn't design the PCB

4. The groupbuy already runs (this comment comes a bit late)

the DAC is in an SOIC package, which is the easiest surface mount component to install.  it is so ridiculously easy to do, that if you have reasonable experience with thru-hole, you'll wonder what you were so worried about.

EDIT:  deleted factual error.  the group buy is indeed underway, although I thought it was on hold.  I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Easy for you and I to say.... not everyone has soldering experience like you do ;)

Um, you make it sound like I'm some soldering guru. Which I am not. At all. The SOIC package is simply really easy to solder. Definitely nothing to be afraid of.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Am I blind or is there no IC1 aka LM336 in there?

You probably mean LM385-Z2,5, it's a voltage reference and looks like a transistor.

Does anyone know if I can use a BC337-16 instead of the BC337-25 listed in the manual?

The core orderlist lists a BC337-16 so I'm a bit confused.

Both transistors will work fine.

16V is sufficient, actually even a 5V type would be ok ;)

Best Regards, Thorsten.