MBSID Power Supply Option

frailn

I've been exploring different paths for supply power to MBSID - one core/two SID modules. I came across this today. The goal is to avoid building optimized PSU and using C64 PSU which are old and could present problems in the future. A more expensive solution, but perhaps more reliable and easier to put together.

Link to the PSU

Mouser Parts List:

6 x 538-08-50-0106

1 x 538-09-50-3051

1 x 538-09-50-3031

1 x 552-PSA-25L-201-R

Use an old power cord from a discarded electronics device (I'm thinking any power cord cut from a device like an old iron or old VCR), connect it to the PSU line-in. Run the 5VDC and 12VDC line outs to SIL headers on a perfboard for connecting to Core and SID modules.

For SID modules, the straight-up 12V line would not be regulated down for 6581 SID's. A 7809 would regulate it down for 8580 or 6582A SID's.

Any thoughts from the experienced ones?

Yes, it should work.

Two notes:

The supply you showed is a "switching" supply. These are great for digital circuits, but may add HF noise to audio. Since this is for an MBSID, that may be a concern.

The supply requires a minimum load to operate. You may need to add a dummy load across the supply to make sure you are always drawing at least the minimum amount. This is common to most switching supplies, including PC power supplies.

Have Fun,

LyleHaze

The C64 PSU may be old, but I would still consider it as an option. The Optimized PSU is easy to and quick to build, and you know what you are getting into. I imagine that it is going to continue to run for some time in the future. Those things were built like tanks.