Extremely low volume from right sid

Labelwhore

I've just completed building a stereo midibox sid with one core, but I've got a problem that I just can't seem to pin down. I'm not getting any audio from the right sid module, I get audio from the left just fine. I've double checked all my connections, nothing seems to be wrong there. I don't see any shorts, and I double checked the voltages, everything seems ok there too. I've even swapped the Sids around to check if the sid in the right module was bad, but I still only get audio from the left sid. I followed the guide here for the connections between the core and sid modules: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_8xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf Is there something I might be missing? Thanks in advance for the help.

* Do you have a display? If so, what does it say?

* Is the J14 connection definitely there?

* What firmware did you upload?

* Did you test the individual sid modules? If not, do so.

* Did you swap the sid modules? If not, do so.

* Do you have a display? If so, what does it say?

* Is the J14 connection definitely there?

* What firmware did you upload?

* Did you test the individual sid modules? If not, do so.

* Did you swap the sid modules? If not, do so.

I do have a display, it reads:

E002|A001*LD  Chn. 1

1***|Lead Patch

the firmware is properly uploaded, I used setup_6581.hex

J14 is definately connected

I am thinking it is a problem with the right Sid module however, but is there a walkthrough for testing the Sid module somewhere?

I just noticed that if I crank the volume on the for the right sid module via my mixer, I am getting some sound it's just extremely faint. (as such, I changed the topic title) It seems to me that it's definately a problem with the right sid module, but I'm not sure what else to do to test it.

1. upload the testtone application. still the same issue? if yes, goto 2

2. swap your SID-chips, run the testtone app again.

-Still no sound from right channel? goto 3a

-The right channel works, but the left channel doesn't? goto 3b

3a. check the right SID-PCB: are all components on the right place? polarisation of the components ok? soldering all fine? wiring to the      Core ok? Voltages all fine?

3b. Probably your SID-chip is damaged. This is nothing uncommon with the 6581. these are often defective. I'd suggest you to use 8581 or Wilbas 6582.

regards

matthias

1. upload the testtone application. still the same issue? if yes, goto 2

2. swap your SID-chips, run the testtone app again.

-Still no sound from right channel? goto 3a

-The right channel works, but the left channel doesn't? goto 3b

3a. check the right SID-PCB: are all components on the right place? polarisation of the components ok? soldering all fine? wiring to the       Core ok? Voltages all fine?

3b. Probably your SID-chip is damaged. This is nothing uncommon with the 6581. these are often defective. I'd suggest you to use 8581 or Wilbas 6582.

regards

matthias

1. same issue

2. swap sid chips, still low volume on the right. In fact I have 3 sid chips, all 3 work fine in the left sid module but not in the right.

3a. everything is where it should be, polarities of the componenets are correct, soldering looks good, wiring to the core looks great, I checked the voltages accoring to the instructions on the bottom of this page http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_sid.html and everything looks good.

I found another thread suggesting that the low volume could be do to a bad voltage regulator, so I swapped that out for another, but to no avail. I still have the same volume issue.

Did you solder your Core-SID connections or do you use detachable connectors? If you didn't solder it, try to swap your SID-PCBs, perhaps you connected your right SID-pbc wrong.

could you put a photo of your wiring and the PCBs online?

What PSU do you use? try to compare the current consumption of your 2 SID-Pcbs on the +5V and on the +12V line.

Did you solder your Core-SID connections or do you use detachable connectors? If you didn't solder it, try to swap your SID-PCBs, perhaps you connected your right SID-pbc wrong.

could you put a photo of your wiring and the PCBs online?

What PSU do you use? try to compare the current consumption of your 2 SID-Pcbs on the +5V and on the +12V line.

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, but I drew up a picture in paint to show you how I have the sid modules connected. I also have the +14v connection on the PSU connected to J1 on each sid module

sid_connections.PNG

sid_connections.PNG

Yeah Dude, I had the same problem when I was getting the MB-6582 setup. If I cranked the mixer up all the way I could hear it way deep down there. The problem turned out that I was an idiot and never gave power to the sid chips. I would say to quad-drupal check all the power to make sure, if that is not it I have no idea. Either way good luck

I said it first ;-)

you're da best  ;)

LabelWhore: resolder every solder connection on the broken SID-Pcb. heat it up fot at least 3 seconds, but take care of transistor. let it cool down first before you resolder the other pins. caps and resistors are not that critical.

Often there are so called cold solder points. This means that you didn't heat the component-lead up long enough while soldering and there is no proper connection between the solder-pad on the pcb and the component lead.

edit: where have you bought the PCBs?

are all components on the right place? polarisation of the components ok? soldering all fine?

resolder every solder connection on the broken SID-Pcb. heat it up fot at least 3 seconds, but take care of transistor. let it cool down first before you resolder the other pins. caps and resistors are not that critical.

[...] there is no proper connection between the solder-pad on the pcb and the component lead.

Check for bad soldering and wrong parts.

You're too slow, nILS ;D

edit: check if one or more of the copper traces are damaged

This is so deja vu...

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12111.msg99563.html#msg99563

Check the SID is getting 12V or 9V at pin 28.

If it does not, then the SID's audio section isn't being supplied with power, yet somehow it leaks out some audio signal.

Alternately, the audio output buffer (the BC547 transistor etc.) could be faulty, to test this, see instructions in the linked thread above.

This is so deja vu...

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12111.msg99563.html#msg99563

Check the SID is getting 12V or 9V at pin 28.

If it does not, then the SID's audio section isn't being supplied with power, yet somehow it leaks out some audio signal.

Alternately, the audio output buffer (the BC547 transistor etc.) could be faulty, to test this, see instructions in the linked thread above.

Ok, I loaded the test tone application and heard the tone from one sid module using a wire from pin 8 to pin 27 on one sid module but not the other. So It's definately the amp circuit that's at fault.

SLP: Are you trying to turn this is turning into a "who's got the longest"-competition? See the first reply in this thread? It's got the answer in it ;-)

I just kidding, but as you're mentioning it:

you know what they say about guys with small ears... big ****! :D

... and I've got pretty small ears...  ;D

• 1 month later...