Harmonic Table keyboard mapper

pataroulis

Hi all,

I just built a harmonic table keyboard (it is a very easy project but I haven't seen anything like it except C-Thru's Expensive stuff)

It is a midi Core module with two (for the time being at least) DIN modules to read the keys and some simple C code to do the mapping.

I will post full details and the code as soon as it is a little more solid.

The concept behind the harmonic table is that every note above the one you press is a 5th apart, the one on the top right is a major third and the one at the top left a minor third

This makes playing scales, easier and playing chords even easier. I included a transpose function readily available so you can change root note without lifting your fingers (actually

you have to lift your fingers but you can land them in the same place)

I have some more information on http://synth-diy.blogspot.com/ (my DIY blog).

Please tell me what you think and what you would like to see so I may add it.

Thank you all,

Aris

100_9422.JPG

100_9422.JPG

Kickass!

I moved this out of user projects for now, please see this thread: Please Read Before Posting New Topics: What is a "User Project"?

I'll move it back when it meets the criteria :)

I will post full details and the code as soon as it is a little more solid.

I have some more information on http://synth-diy.blogspot.com/ (my DIY blog).

Please tell me what you think and what you would like to see so I may add it.

Bring that documentation onsite, and post code, and uhm... nope, that's all :D

Heh yeh.. Admittedly I did think twice before I moved this thread, it's pretty obvious where it's going to end up ;) Actually that's why I mentioned moving it back, and said "for now". Just wanted to make sure you knew you had support.

As you may imagine, we have to be fairly strict with the user projects subforum, so that we end up with projects that are ready for others to build - I mean, they need a level of support (including documentation) similar to the official projects. That doesn't mean hanging around fielding questions nonstop or anything, just stuff like schems and instructions and code with nice comments is top notch (check out doco like the wilbasid, sensorizer, pedal board)... But the candidates that hit the user projects subforum, range from that standard, to requests for people to build stuff for money. (Those get deleted)

Just for the sake of treating everyone equally, the response is standard: No wiki page, no code, no schems = no thread in User Projects.

Just for the sake of stryd being stryd, I apply a certain degree of pleasantry proportionate to the poster's investment of effort and respect paid to the sticky thread in the forum. Which is why I thought I'd explain the standard response, and why you got it. But Yeh, don't sweat it ;)

Caught this one on Hackaday earlier on

http://hackaday.com/2008/11/29/harmonic-keyboard-controller/

This project reminds me of a guy I saw in Berlin who was playing a wine glass harp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_harp, The glasses seemed to be arranged in a certain way to make pleaying very easy, they must have been about 6 deep by 15 aacross.

I saw this earlier through Make's blog or something, and I think it's a really cool project. You haven't updated the blog in a while, how are things going?

One thing I'm thinking about though is durability, and secondly velocity sensitivity. Any thoughts on those? Velocity sensitivity basically requires two digital inputs and measuring the time between the two, right? (Given a physical key with the necessary outputs.) But does the core track events fast enough for that to be doable, or would every key need it's own circuit or something?

hi again,

I was looking around if I could make it touch sensitive. Capacitive sensing is for now out of the question because it needs lotsa extra stuff (but I recently learned that microchip mCUs have all the needed circuitry on board). This is to be tested later.

For now, I wait for the local component store to bring me carbon spray (the thing you see on remote control contacts) to check if I could substitute the switches (DIN module) with an analog, resistance measuring AIN module. If anyone has any idea, you are welcome to shoot away!

I'm making a drawing of the keypad so I can upload it.

I put a link on the wiki so I can fill it up tonight! :)

(sorry for being late on this but I recently got a QY700 and been playing with it since Saturday non-stop :)

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not able to develop anything, but what about this:

did you consider to use an old C64 keyboard for the keys?

the C64 matrix scanner application was developed (by someone i dont' remember...) and you can use the C64 keyb as a set of pushbuttons for the midibox application

with an application of this you could just interface the c64 case with core and DIN and you're up and running!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...