Midibox Sid Issue

napierzaza

I got my SID Making sound. I expected maybe a little bit of a hum or something, but for some reason I get noise in the background. But it's not a ground loop, it's a really low volume tone coming out of the SID, one which is still modified by the the pitch bending wheel on my keyboard. I haven't modifed the patches so it's not foolish sustain or anything, and every patch does it. It's exactly like a very low volume of the same tone that I would have been playing. It's even there on boot-up before any note messages have been sent.

Has anyone else had this??

Yea, it's a pretty standard issue..  It's got to do with bleed through from the VCA.

On my MB6582 (With 6582 SIDS) I'd say the noise is about 2%-5% of the synths volume.

I've heard the older SIDS (6581) are worse.

You could invest in a noise gate to help eliminate it if it was really bothering you..

Search around, I've read quite a few people talking about this issue.

Regards

Mike

It's not that I don't like the sound of a noise gate, it's just that I am not sure how much effort it will cost me in time/effort. I guess I can remove the noise in post anyhow.

It doesn't sound terrible, I have two 6581s. In fact maybe I should mute the one that is not an R4 and see what it's like.