Should I eventually build a SID?

Max Romantschuk

I'm a new face in the MIDIbox community, currently working on my first project, a synth programmer for my Roland Alpha Juno 1.

The thing is, Wilba keeps holding these mega-sales of those delicious SID chips... And I can't make up my mind if I should buy some and build a SID, or not... The building wouldn't happen for a long time. I have four kids and little time to spare, so basically I'm trying to make up my mind if I should get a few chips before they become really rare.

The thing is, I have a nice analog synth, and a nice FM synth. I don't need more, but should I do it just for the fun factor?

If I were to build a SID it'd probably make more sense to use just one or two chips. I tend to do finished pieces on the computer anyway. So I guess my SID would be a toy to play with mostly and a fun project to build for the heck of building. :)

Opinions? Get chips while I still can or roll my own MIDIbox-powered analog modular beast in 10-15 years instead? ;)

Wilba seems to have a steady supply, but I guess it'll come to an end at some point. If you have an inkling that you may want to build one then get some chips... 3 would be a good number.. 2 for a stereo spare and a spare just in case, you can always sell them on at the fleamarket if you decide you definitely don't want to build a SID

Hi Max,

Looking at your construction thread, I suspect that you could churn out a basic MB-SID (Core + SID module) in just an evening.  Any enhancements you make to its design after that are after-the-fact tweaks.

If you buy (or etch) the separate boards instead of going the MB-6582 route, you'll have extra modules you can experiment with, or troubleshoot your other project(s).

The 6582 sounds sweet.  Having completed an MB-6582, I can say it has exceeded my expectations, and I had a lot of fun building it.

You guys give me no choice... ;)

Just added myself to #8:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,12747.0.html

3, a stereo pair + a Muphy's Law spare seems like a good option. Reading the MIDIbox SID docs it seems like that will allow me to make full use of the sound engine with reduced polyphony and/or multitimbrality?

Oh, and by build blog so far was done when I had the very rare opportunity to work home alone. Normally it's four kids and pure chaos... Everything is on hold now until I shake this cold and can afford some late nights again. ;)

So, does anyone know when #8 will begin?

Can't wait to get my hands on some SIDs (I've requested 4) and start making this thing!

I'm a real synth-ethousiast, and I'm fascinated by everything that sounds old (hate new synths) - sounds like SID synth!

PS: the order page has changed - now there is email link, instead of a order list... should I send an email, or just wait?

I think this is a good opportunity - seriously, I don't think I would be able to find unused commodores at that price and at that quantity! 15 euro is a really reasonable price.

So, does anyone know when #8 will begin?

Can't wait to get my hands on some SIDs (I've requested 4) and start making this thing!

I'm a real synth-ethousiast, and I'm fascinated by everything that sounds old (hate new synths) - sounds like SID synth!

See above!