MIOS Invaders

philetaylor

Hi all.

Well I was at a bit of a loose end tonight and I wanted to come up with an interesting midibox project, partly to put my dog glcd driver through its paces and partly for a bit of fun.

While I was searching around the Internet, I came across a PIC based space invaders http://users.picbasic.org/projects/Space%20Invaders/space_invaders.htm (written in PICBASIC !!). I wondered how difficult it would be to port it to MIOS. Well the answer is:

MIOS INVADERS  :o  :o

fetch.php?cache=cache&media=philetaylor:mios_invaders.jpg

It is working (to a point) although porting from basic creates VERY messy code that I doubt I will clean up much but it has been fun, I plan to add midi sound (so as least it is slightly relevant to midibox!) and once I have finished the program I did wonder whether it's appropriate to add it as a MIOS app in svn ?  :)

Cheers

Phil

OK, I have committed it to svn.

It isn't really finished as I am struggling to get the display of 'missiles' working. PICBASIC has single pixel Plot and UnPlot functions which I can't seem to replicate. I guess that it must use a screen buffer as there doesn't seem to be any other way to manipulate single pixels. Any suggestions on this would be welcome.

It is still very messy and definately not optimized, it is almost a line-for-line copy of the BASIC version. Add the fact that it has a 1K splash screen and it almost fills the PIC :)

I would be interested to hear if it works with any other GLCD's!

Have fun  :D

Phil

The more I look at this, it makes me wonder whether a generic library for GLCD's would be a good idea, something that can draw shapes and manipulate pixels etc may be useful???

The main issue that I can see is that it would need to maintain a buffer as particularly with the DOG GLDS's, there is no method of reading data back from the display. This would need 1K of RAM for a 128x64 display (unless compression was used) which really limits its usefullness on PIC devices but I may look at something for MIOS32.....

Cheers

Phil