joining severed ribbon cable with ease?

Futureman

Hey all.

I'm looking for an elegant solution to joining ribbon cable mid length with ease... Basically, I've got a a few runs going all over the place, and I need to cut them to take apart my synth.

Some of the cables are 8 way, some are just 3 way.. any easy ideas?

Regards

Mike

Errr easy ideas... Uhmmm... let me think..... don't cut them!

Why would you need to do that?

Sheeeeesshhh.. you think i would not cut them unless I had to...  ;]

Well... the way it was assembled, it makes access difficult..

Think of a clam/oyster.. I need to get it upen, but cables are holding it tight.. I need to cut the cables to get access to it's insides, then fix it, then close it.

I was hoping for some mid cable type headers etc.. but have not seen anything that fits the bill.

Cheers

Mike

Well I do get that you see a need to do it, it's just beyond me why that would be... I mean.. how'd you assemble it in the first place if it can't be open and connected?

Whatever the answer to that question is, just do that in reverse order and you're sweet.... no?

Can't you just disconnect the cable from the plug at the top or bottom of the 'clam'?

Well I do get that you see a need to do it, it's just beyond me why that would be... I mean.. how'd you assemble it in the first place if it can't be open and connected?

Some parts have been glued in place.. No connectors on either end... Sorry, I should have given a more detailed description earlier.

Trust me, Like I said, I would take it apart if it was possible..

Regards

Mike

IMO this is a good opportunity and motive to fix the error of glued parts and missing headers.... While you've got it open... desolder, add headers, and proper cable ties. You're gonna have to do a bunch of soldering anyways.......

Dude ...

Last week you wanted to solder stuff from the wrong side of the board, and now you want to cut and splice ribbon cables.

Both are possible, but there comes a point where "best practice" must dictate.  As a repair bench technician, I have to tell you I've never found a reason to do either.  There are times when shortcuts are tempting, but it always comes back to haunt you.  It can take a few extra minutes to do the job right, but later, when the device fails for some reason, your weird little shortcut will be one less potential point of failure.

Honestly, if I ever had to cut a ribbon cable, I would most certainly always replace the entire cable.

at a local electronics shop i got headers design to be plugged into one another, in-line.  they're handy for 2 or 3 pin connections.  sorry i don't have a part number for you.  so those, along with phil's solution for the bigger header could work.

but personally i would remove all the cable and use proper headers and connectors, at least on one end.