Green newbie asking question

AGW

Hello everyone! I must start off by saying, WOW! There is more information on this site than my mechanically oriented brain can handle!

Okay, I am a guitar player with a few midi capable devices and I was looking for a way to build a midi router that took an input from a control board (FCB1010) and sent it to multiple attached devices (currently three, but would like expansion room). I am currently using the daisy-chain method to connect everything, and that is where my problem arises. I also use a PC interface (M-Audio Uno) to back-up and program the gear and I have to isolate the device that I am wanted to work with. What I was hoping to build is a router unit that will take input from the control board or the PC and send to the attached units and also have all of the outputs sent to a PC interface (either I/O via midi, firewire or usb). In the case of a signal from the PC, it should also go to the controller board.

I hope this makes sense.

Welcome aboard :)

The router is cool as can be... But I do wonder:

I am currently using the daisy-chain method to connect everything, and that is where my problem arises. I also use a PC interface (M-Audio Uno) to back-up and program the gear and I have to isolate the device that I am wanted to work with.

Why do you have to? You should be able to control it all in the chain.

(if it's properly designed... I don't know your hardware, maybe there's a limitation)

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay in posting again, but I have been reading and researching the MIDI Router that has been previously designed. I think that device will do what I need.

To answer the question from styrd_one: Since I have to use the thru port on one of the devices to maintain the communication chain, it will not send out the sysex dump properly. The sysex will onloy go out through the out port. I have tried everything I can think of to get this to work but I have been unsuccessful. I can use the setup but I can't use the programming utilities to access everything without isolating the device I am working on.

My rig is set-up as follows: FCB-1010 -> Tech21 NYC SansAmp PSA1.1 -> tc electronic G-Major

I also have a Zoom HDD recorder that uses MIDI but I haven't used it in that capacity...yet.

How difficult will it be to increase the I/O count on the MIDI Router? I would like to have 8 I/O ports on the back but being new at this I don't want to get too deep.

or you could even build a gm5x5x5 and each item will have its own dedicated ports, find a good case for it to sit in and just attatch it with a long usb lead, jobs done everything is done over one usb lead to the 5 port midi interface.

The gm5x5x5 looks like an interesting concept (I guess concept isn't the right word since it is a working design!), however I don't always want the PC connected to the rack. I was hoping for an independent unit that can communicate freely with the rack mounted devices and also provide an I/O method for the PC.

The gm5x5x5 might be useful down the road. I think I need to get better with my electronics skills before I choose to many advanced projects (right now I am limited to wiring up guitars and other simple things!)

Cheers to all!

An "off the shelf" option might be to use an Edirol UM-550 or UM-880 MIDI interface.

Like the GM5x5x5, they offer USB to MIDI, and either 5 or 8 inputs and outputs.

In addition, they offer MIDI signal routing with or without a connected PC.

I think building your own would be more fun, but hey, if you want a "quick and easy"

those will work.

I have an 880 here, and it works well.

But they have been discontinued, so may not be easy to find.

Have Fun,

LyleHaze