Has anyone tried these encoders?

unrise_lyrical

Hey all,

look at purchasing some rotary encoders for a mbSID im building. Has anyone had any experience with Bourns encoders model number: ECW1J-B16-BC0024 ?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they feel? They are a bit more expensive than other ones I have been looking at, but I am willing to spend a bit more money for better quality. However, if I am not getting any more quality for my money...stuff it! I will go with the cheapies :)

any help much appreciated, thanks guys

EDIT: here are some pics of them

254078436_tp.jpg

254078476_tp.jpg

I was going to suggest Mouser part 318-ENC160F-24P which are mechanically and electrically identical to the Soundwell ones I bulk order, but the price on these are ridiculous! 1+ $5.18, 100+ $3.56... they used to be cheaper, right?

You are better off getting some from SmashTV's shop if you only need small quantities.

Looks like he must have sold out. Smash used to carry:

Rotary Encoder

High quality Bourns encoder

24 Detents, 24 PPR

6mm x 20mm "D" Shaft Specifications $1.00

Rotary Encoder with switch

High quality Bourns encoder

With push switch

24 Detents, 24 PPR

6mm x 25mm "D" Shaft $1.25

Bourns encoders were used in EMU equipment, the ESI and E samplers have them for the data wheel. They are a bit stiffer to rotate than other encoders I have come across, and the metal hood shown on your pictures is not always included when you order, so I had to hot-glue them to the PCB. The shaft is usually 1/4". They are not necessarily higher quality than other brands, in fact I have had an EMU on which the encoder had gone bad (albeit after heavy use).

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0008.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0008.JPG