Regulated +/- 12V Power Supply Kit Questions

JargMarbin

I'm currently in the process of exploring my options for a bipolar power supply capable of delivering +12v and -12v for my MIDIbox CV project.  I've never built one before, and I don't want to work with anything dangerous.  I found the following kit:

http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9770R-12

Would this kit work?  How much does it cost to build one? 

From the photo and link you posted, it looks like a fairly standard  bipolar supply.

They appear to be using 7812 and 7912 regulators, and a wall transformer that is capable of about 300ma.

Would this kit work? 

If you need + and - 12 volts at 300 ma or less, yes.

However, you'll probably need a separate power connection for the core +5 volts. I have not looked over the CV project too closely, but I assume it has a core, and maybe a display too?

If you choose a transformer with larger current capacity, you could power everything off of it, including this board. Most bipolar (positive and negative) supplies require a center tapped secondary on the transformer.

How much does it cost to build one? 

The link you provided says :Price: $41.45

and I don't want to work with anything dangerous.

Then avoid nILS.

No, seriously.. PAiA have a good reputation. I think $41 is a bit expensive, but I'm sure the product will do what it claims to do.

Have Fun,

LyleHaze