2200uf 16v

Technosoul

Hello,

I am building a 6582 MBsid with PSU option 1. I have recieved (2) 2200uf16v in smash tv kit but schematics call for 2200uf25v. Is it ok to use the 16v. And if anyone can direct me towards a link or web page that better explains these parts, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Hi Technosoul!

It would probably work -  I believe I have read on the forums people use the 16Vs. Though it depends on if you are going to use a C64 PSU, etc. Me personally, I would prefer a 25V. This is to allow for voltage spikes on the line, etc. It gives the capacitor a greater tolerance before bad things start to happen. Plus, I think caps rated at higher voltages might last a little longer. *shrug*

the AC value you measure is just a relative value, the effective voltage. to find out which voltages in fact appear you can multiply the measured AC value with the squareroot of 2. the cap's value should be higher than this voltage peak.

i don't know about the particular voltage in 6582, but i guess that it should work if they've come with Smash's kits.

I knew I'd seen something about this.  From the FAQs on Wilba's docs: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_6582

Is there any reason why 16-volt 2200uF caps cannot be used instead of 25-volt ones?

For the 5v supply: no. For the 9v AC after the bridge rectifier: not really. I was told once to expect up to 2x the voltage after the rectivier, i.e. if it's 9v AC, choose capacitor to handle 18v DC. It really doesn't go up that high I think, and caps rated to 15v should be enough.

---

FWIW I used the caps from Smash's kit on mine and it's been fine.

SmashTV says those Xicon capacitors may be rated to 16V but can handle much higher. It was his decision to supply 16V rated 2200uF capacitors based on knowing more than I do about these things, i.e. they work, they won't explode, so stop worrying  :P

as far as i know the capacitor needs to match at least the voltage that is riunning in the curcuit...

if u use a capacitor that can handle more voltage it is probably going to live longer, because it is not

getting stressed so much and not heat up as much... so if u need very good performance with long

lifetime within a critical curcuit next to for example warm stuff, u might want higher voltage caps than

actually required by the curcuit.

mostly the capacitors with less voltage but same capacity are a little cheaper is well...

question: what usually causes voltage spikes?

this is some nice video.. they have many more videos that explain some stuff

realy interesting  :D

http://www.furmansound.com/video.php?id=s1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All !

2200 µF 25V caps are higher than 16V, is that a problem with free space between Base and Control Surface boards of MB6582 ? Because i have ordered 25 V and when i compare them to 16 V i'm afraid that they could be too long ???

Thanks for your answer !

K

For standard cheapo electrolytics, there is often a recommendation to use capacitance and voltage tolerance quite a bit higher than what the first order circuit model may suggest is necessary. As stated in previous posts, this is to provide sufficiently low impedance at the ferquencies of interest, and to handle power dissipation in the cap.

The different capacitor types vary a lot in their physical properties, so using a cap of different type may allow for a lower safety margin in the voltage rating. For example, the cap may present a lower impedance, dissipate less power for a given driving signal.

I think if one reads suggestions for power supply capacitance values, and voltage ratings, it would usually be for standard cheapo bulk electrolytic.

I don't know anything about what Smash has selected, but it seems that he has done his homework on this.