Do you use a mixer to mix your SID's in your MB-6582

Futureman

I've just got a new massive Allen & Heath desk with spades of channels.. And was thinking of running a multicore from my MB-6582 to the desk.

I like the idea of individual eq & FX for the stereo SID pairs, and the ability to quicky mute SID's.

I'm just wondering if 8 channels dedicated to SID's is over the top when most things get 1 or 2...

I find myself often wanting to change the relative levels of the instruments.. how do other MB-6582 owners go about this? Or do you just 'live with it' ?

Regards

Mike

Well, if it's being used as 4 stereo pairs, then you're really only using 1 stereo channel for each "instrument". If you're using all 8 SIDs together as one huge polyphonic patch, then it might not make sense, but otherwise, it makes a lot of sense to split them up if you've got the space on your mixer.

Or I could just go with the more obvious answer: Music is an expressive art form, so whichever way you prefer to do it is the right way.

I'm using a dedicated t.mix 1202 mixer for my MBSID. I modified it, so that beside of the 4 stereo inputs, the remaining microphone inputs can be used as mono channels. Whenever I want to use one or more SIDs in Bassline/Drum/Multi mode, I just plug the audio cables into different input sockets. And I'm using the Aux outputs for routing SIDs to alternative (Fx) channels.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yeah, it's probably most logical and comfortable to have one stereo channel for each SID pair. I would definitely seek that solution if I had an eight SID monster. But since I only have a pair of 8580's and a pair of 6581's, I'm very happy with my old Digitech Studio Quad V2 multieffects rack. I have both SID pairs going into their own stereo effect channels, then it all comes out as a stereo signal at the output of the Quad. A compact and flexible solution, although mixing the levels of individual channels is a bit clumsy.

@ DrBunsen - Yeah, the Quad is good, although not spectacular. I use it for MBSID mainly because I simply happen to have it. I originally bought it new back in 1996 or so to be an all-in-one effects solution for my C-cassette four-track. For my (quite limited) MBSID needs, it's very handy, although changing anything on the fly is pretty much impossible. The effects themselves are ok, but reverbs sound like what they are, digital reverbs from mid-90's. Boingy and metallic. But chained to a SID chip, there's really no need for top-of-the-line natural sounding effects... ;)

All in all, I'm happy with the Quad. I don't really know if anything similar even exists on the market right now (at least at a reasonable price point).

By the way, are there any upgrades available for the Quad V2? I think there are empty memory chip sockets inside - longer delay times, perhaps?  ;)