Connecting a pedal to the AIN

s4ndp4pper

Hi... I'm making a Mb64 and are planning for it to have a pair of 6.3mm (1/4") jacks, so i can connect  control pedals like on a synth.

Can i connect the jacks directly to the AIN module just like pots/sliders, or do i need extra resistors and stuff?

I also plan to connect jacks to the DINX4 (for foot switches) and have the same dilemma about that.

Another question btw:

I thought about connecting the DINX4's expansion port (J2) to a 9pin D-SUB, so i can connect another DINX4 as a external device (are planning to making a simple keyboard, Kraftwerk style :-). Can i do this, or will i get random MIDI messsages whenever the port is not connected?

/J

if it's expression pedal (for volume for example) you can plug them with stereo jack on AIN modules, if it's just a switch pedal, connecet them on a DIN module ;)

For the external DIN, I think it work if the cable is not too long... (don't exactly how long it can be)

That can be pretty long!! Its just an digital on or off. I would guess at least 5m or more (especially if u you use a shielded cable!).

If you should encounter problems, or want to make it even longer, you can lower the R at the depending pin of the IC, which pulls the pin up to 5V (the original R is 10k I think, so you could go down to 4,7k or so). But I would rather first try it out with the original R, so the IC doesn´t get blown accidentially (although this shouldn´t happen as long as you keep the R above 1k).

Just use a shielded cable and everything should be pretty fine up to 5m or more.

• 1 year later...