5V Case Fan for MB-6852?

m00dawg

Because of the way I am powering my MB-6852, I wanted to supply 5V to the 40mm case fan in the MB-6582. Just to have something, I bought a cheap RadioShack 40mm fan and it works well - once it gets going. 5V is not enough to get the fan to start spinning (I have to help it), but once it's going it works well. My question is - does anyone have any recommendations for a 40mm fan that will run at 5V? I looked on Performance-PCs.com (the site Wilba recommends from the wiki) and did find quite a few 40mm fans, but none that were rated for 5V. Yes, I could use the 9V supply but I'd rather not since these power the SIDs analog parts and I don't want to introduce any noise by the fan if at all possible.

Thoughts?

Because of the way I am powering my MB-6852, I wanted to supply 5V to the 40mm case fan in the MB-6582. Just to have something, I bought a cheap RadioShack 40mm fan and it works well - once it gets going. 5V is not enough to get the fan to start spinning (I have to help it), but once it's going it works well. My question is - does anyone have any recommendations for a 40mm fan that will run at 5V? I looked on Performance-PCs.com (the site Wilba recommends from the wiki) and did find quite a few 40mm fans, but none that were rated for 5V. Yes, I could use the 9V supply but I'd rather not since these power the SIDs analog parts and I don't want to introduce any noise by the fan if at all possible.

Thoughts?

Fans aren't as picky as chips when it comes to voltage, as you have found..

Since the 5 volt regulator is usually running warm anyway, I would not add the fan to that load, but what is your unregulated voltage?

After the bridge, before it goes into any regulators, you could tap power without adding heat from any regulators.

Or you could add a pull rope like my lawnmower to get it started from 5 volts. :)

LyleHaze

I'm probably wrong, but can't you add a series capacitor to get motors cranking?

But I agree; using some unregulated voltage is a good idea. You could even add a resistor to control the speed (noise).

If I understand "Series Capacitor".. that would pass AC but block DC..

Since it's a DC fan, I'm guessing that wouldn't help much.

But I may be misunderstanding you.. :)

LyleHaze

Unregulated power might be an option for some, but I am supplying power using an external PSU that feeds the MB-6582 9V and 5V. The great thing about this is that all the heat from the regulation is external to the case and I have more room to use things like power resistors, etc. The PSU is still a work in progress, but works quite well.

The only downside is that I am limited in my fan choice, although it looks like the fan from Mouser will perfect! Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...