USB Module Probs

d2k

Hey...

I made the usb module and to my surprise when I plugged in the usb cable XP recognised it as the cypress usb and I then installed then drivers...

Loaded EZ-USB control panel and followed the instructions in the txt file - I got the 000F msgs as described. However, on completing the eeprom upload and closing ez-usb cp, then unpluggin and pluggin back in the usb cable nothing else happened :/ XP didnt recognise nething new...

Any ideas?

Dan

BTW: I used 24ohm inpace of the 20ohm resistors - this okay

HOLD THE PHONE!! :D

Well, i just hit pot luck here...

Uninstalled the cypress driver frm the 1.1 rls, installed the drv from the V1 rls, and just hit eeprom and opened the mbhp_usb.HEX file...XP rcognised a new USB devices instantly!! I checked midi-ox and I have 2 new ports labelled as USB Audio Device 1 and USB Audio Device 2!! :)

MIDI i/o solved...for now :P

Rspx to the TK and Smash for this lil puppy!!

Nice...

Dan

:P Loverly traces Smash!!

BTW. I think it's possible to change the names of any ports (sound/midi) via regedit. just search the name as it stands and modify the binary data...just done a clean install so I aint gonna get dirty in the reg just yet tho :)

Dan

Hmmmmm, that didnt last too long...just unplugged the module to get it boxed etc, plugged it back in and nothing :/ wasnt recognised :( even loading the firmware as I did before didnt cure it....

Ah well, it'd wudnt be right it working first time :p

Dan

Hmmmmm, that didnt last too long...just unplugged the module to get it boxed etc, plugged it back in and nothing :/ wasnt recognised :( even loading the firmware as I did before didnt cure it....

Ah well, it'd wudnt be right it working first time :p

Dan

Did you reboot?  several of my machines here (both PC and MAC) dont see some USB devices when they are plugged in a second time between reboots.

Smash

That problem sounds pretty typical of USB though... Wouldn't surprise me if its Windows, not your hardware...Specially if it worked once...

Oh and D2K you don't have to go into regedit to do that, there is an area of the control panel that allows it...

Hi Dan,

fantastic! This means that MBHP_USB is working under XP (in principle), great news!

How did you edit the names exactly? Could you please write a short HowTo (maybe with a snapshot) for the USB page?

Bootproblem: I guess that you haven't burned the correct file into EEPROM.

mbhp_usb.hex is the file which can be loaded directly into SRAM on-the-fly (nice for developing). But the SRAM content will be lost during power-off

mbhp_usb.iic is the correct file. The required steps for the burning procedure can be found in ez-usb/HOWTO_BURN_EEPROM.txt

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey T...

Ye I followed all the steps as stated in the txt file and tried the file u mentioned but I'm still getting nothing :/ dunno if the eeprom or usb chip is knackered, i've search tracks and all look good...

The ez-usb control panel just hangs when i try an upload the file...

Cheers...

Dan

Hi Dan,

thats correct, the whole windows system hangs during the EEPROM upload procedure. It also hangs some time when the MIDI driver is running and the USB cable is disconnected. But it should be recovered after about 30 seconds (this strange behaviour was also very confusing to me).

You can always ensure that the USB chip is working by downloading the .hex file into SRAM (->use the Download button, not the EEPROM button for this test)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

okay - tracked down the prob...

a track hadnt come out in the etching process which ties one of the eeprom pins to ground :P so i blotched in a blob of solder and low and behold the eeprom is behaving now :)

yee-haaa midi i/o solved...again...for now...agin :D

Nice...

Dan

Sweet!  ;D

Was etching the layout difficult with some of the small traces, and what process did you use (including what paper if you did toner transfer) to etch?

I don't think I can make the USB layout much more home etch friendly but I am interested in whether it presents a problem to for those using toner transfer.

Have fun!

Smash

BTW on the subject of etching....

I have been using press'n'peel, which works well if you have a photocopier that is in pristine condition... most of my efforts needed a lot of cleaning up with a sharp knoife. In future I will be ordering my pcb's from you smash, or the other guy... mike i think? I'm sick of sharpening 0.8mm drills all the time!! (HSS)

...Steve

Okay, all still goin good - cept 1 minor snag...

MIDI Out 1 is not transmitting any midi data when it should be except for this msg:

-003: F0 00 00

-002: F0 66 10

-001: F0 13 00

000: F0 F7 00

All other i/o's are working fine tho :)

Best...

Dan

Hi Dan,

does this mean that only the first out is affected, or both MIDI Outs?

To the SysEx issue: that's the M$ driver bug which is descriped at the USB module page:

# The Microsoft driver isn't able to send one SysEx string which is distributed over multiple buffers without errors. The complete SysEx string has to be sent from a single buffer (this affects the MIOS download, in the MIDI-Ox port config menu, you have to increase the Low level Output buffer size from 256 to 2048 ).

Note: this means also that the SysEx upload to PIC16F cores cannot be realized w/o a change in the vmidibox editor. MIDI-Ox cannot be used to upload a dump to PIC16F based MIDIboxes.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey T...

It's just MIDI Out 1 that is affected Out 2 outputs midi fine...

The sysex msg i typed before is what comes out of midi out 1 when it should be ie, transmitting note events from a logic seq track(which transmit fine on out2) but instead i just get that sysex msg...

Dan

Hi all,

after putting win XP on my laptop (before Win98se) my USB module is working very nicely. One thing i recogniced is, that after moving few times, my Usb port stops scanning( not the USb module though). After sending something from the port to the USb module its fine again. and so on. Any idea?

Sweet!  

Was etching the layout difficult with some of the small traces, and what process did you use (including what paper if you did toner transfer) to etch?

I don't think I can make the USB layout much more home etch friendly but I am interested in whether it presents a problem to for those using toner transfer.

Have fun!

Smash

Etching was easy but i was just wondering why you did this MidiIn1;MidiIn2;MidiOut2;MidiOut1, frontpanel arrangment?

BTW: did you made a tiny PCB already?

chriss

What about the the Jsynth?

# The Microsoft driver isn't able to send one SysEx string which is distributed over multiple buffers without errors. The complete SysEx string has to be sent from a single buffer (this affects the MIOS download, in the MIDI-Ox port config menu, you have to increase the Low level Output buffer size from 256 to 2048 ).

This works for me ( 2048 ), but what about the Patch upload with Jsynth? Since V1.5b, I can´t get some patches on the Bankstick (P#60-70 or so). Is it possible to load them with midiox? (And these  SeqPatches are so damm rocking, i really miss them)

chriss

This works for me ( 2048 ), but what about the Patch upload with Jsynth? Since V1.5b, I can´t get some patches on the Bankstick (P#60-70 or so).

could you please check if it works when you upload all patches a second time?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Etching was easy but i was just wondering why you did this MidiIn1;MidiIn2;MidiOut2;MidiOut1, frontpanel arrangment?

That was purely an issue of routing traces, and it was a trade off between more jumpers and tigher trace spacing or a 1-2-1-2 order.

BTW: did you made a tiny PCB already?

Yes, but it has yet to be built and tested before release.  

Have fun!

SmashTV

Hi,

could you please check if it works when you upload all patches a second time?

It makes no difference, to upload them twice. All the seq patches, except the seq#67, are missing. On every patch the MB sid sends a string back, but on the SeqPatches it sends nothing, then sending on #67, and then all the newpatches.   And in the end of the upload Jsynth hangs itself up. (could not play back banks only patches, it says and i have to close Jsynth.)

But in the meantime i plugged the USB module into a friends powerbook G4 running under OSX, and midi i/o is working. Didn´t had the chance to test sysex upload though.

Great module!

chriss