Commercially available alternative?

taximan

Hello,

I am new to midi music but have been totally sucked in by it and have recently bought an akai mpd 24 but would like to progress to something along the lines of the midibox seq v4.

I could build a unit if I had all the pieces and instructions but I would be doing it without really having the knowledge of what does what and why (like making a jigsaw puzzle)which seems to be against the spirit of the midibox project.

I do not wish to offend anyone but could you please let me know if there is a commercially available version of the v4?

Something as near as possible would be okay as would a software type alternative.

Many thanks for reading.

Paul

Welcome aboard taximan!

...could you please let me know if there is a commercially available version of the v4?

There is not. There won't be.

I could build a unit if I had all the pieces and instructions but I would be doing it without really having the knowledge of what does what and why

That's how everyone starts out here ;)

...which seems to be against the spirit of the midibox project

Absolutely not. That is the point of midibox. You *learn* to make one, and bit by bit learn what does what and why and how and so on :)

Okay...looks like I have to get deep down 'n' dirty...lol.

So my next shortcut would be can I get all the pieces I need as a kit?

I know,I know...all the answers are in here somewhere...lord knows I have spent hours trying to work it all out....(rubs sore eyes yet again).

I think the thing that is throwing me a little is the fact that there seems to be a lot of alternatives,as in...you can use this or that component which without total understanding of the units functions causes me a little info overload.

So...do we have the ultimate parts list/kit?

many many thanks in advance

Paul

Edited by taximan

what comes closest to a kit you can find here:

but you'd need to wait until it's finally released. in addition you'd need a core (e.g. ultracore for V3, STM32 for V4) and psu & such. the rest depends on which features you like. i'd suggest reading the whole SEQ documentation on uCApps and compare with Wilba's design.

Hello taximan,

just as ROSCH wrote, WILBA's SEQ is what you are looking for:

(As far as I know, the only open issue is the casework at the moment)

In addition to WILBA's kit you will need in any case the core module:

CORE_STM_32

But the most important at the end:

You should read the WIKI page several times and also look at the schematics to learn

more about MB SEQ and MIDIbox in general.

MB_SEQ_V4

You won't dig into all this stuff over night, but be encouraged, it is much easier as it may look at the

beginning. And your efforts will be rewarded by the most powerful SEQ on this planet.

Not to mention this great comunity with all the other impressive projects.

Go ahead!

Greetings

Gridracer

Thanks for the encouragement guys....much appreciated.

My plan of action for now (subject to change)is to carry on 'swotting up' until the kit for the v4 seq becomes available....seems like a sensible course of action I reckon.

Meanwhile I now have my akai mpd24 talking to a set of yamaha dd55 drums.....best sounding grand piano I ever heard...lol.

When this midi stuff gets a hold on you everything else seems to go out of the window.....very addictive.

Cheers

Paul