Finding a short on the CORE

dubphil

Hello,

I don't own a sophisticated multimeter with the beep beep feature to detect shorts, so I have stolen in my kids bedroom an awful toy that gives an horrible sound when you press a button, yeah that will do the trick ;)

After having replaced the toy's button by two wires, I decided to try it on my finally buggy CORE (you can read the story here : ) . So I clamped the anode wire to the ground and used the cathode wire to make the contact on the solder joints; the result was a hurly-burly nearly everytime I made the contact to a joint. So I opened the .brd file of the CORE and drawn "in black" all the tracks and joints that are directly connected to the ground then I drawn all the tracks and joints that are connected to the ground with a composant (capacitor, resistor, etc). So finally it remains few joints and tracks to check.

here is the scheme : http://migratis.net/find_short.png

knowing that my problem is that I measure +5V before the R9 resistor and just after I measure 3,8V, the beep beep trick doesn't help much : around this place, everything beeps...

pfiouuuuuuu electronic is the most hard discipline to learn by myself.

Thanks to teach me what I can't find by myself.

Best regards

Philippe

Hello,

I don't own a sophisticated multimeter with the beep beep feature to detect shorts, so I have stolen in my kids bedroom an awful toy that gives an horrible sound when you press a button, yeah that will do the trick ;)

After having replaced the toy's button by two wires, I decided to try it on my finally buggy CORE (you can read the story here : ) . So I clamped the anode wire to the ground and used the cathode wire to make the contact on the solder joints; the result was a hurly-burly nearly everytime I made the contact to a joint. So I opened the .brd file of the CORE and drawn "in black" all the tracks and joints that are directly connected to the ground then I drawn all the tracks and joints that are connected to the ground with a composant (capacitor, resistor, etc). So finally it remains few joints and tracks to check.

here is the scheme : http://migratis.net/find_short.png

knowing that my problem is that I measure +5V before the R9 resistor and just after I measure 3,8V, the beep beep trick doesn't help much : around this place, everything beeps...

pfiouuuuuuu electronic is the most hard discipline to learn by myself.

Thanks to teach me what I can't find by myself.

Best regards

Philippe

While in principle using a sound producing toy to test continuity might work, it really isn't a good idea and I definitely wouldn't rely on it (although it's a clever idea!). Just buy yourself a decent multimeter -they're not that expensive. You're multimeter probably already checks for continuity anyway, even if it doesn't have a beeping function. This just means you'll have to keep one eye on the multimeter display when doing continuity checks.

This just means you'll have to keep one eye on the multimeter display when doing continuity checks.

My cheap multimeter has an ohmmeter scaled to 1K, do I need to use this to test the continuity ? If yes, measuring the resistance at each point against the ground is the correct checks to do ?

Best regards

Philippe

yes, any ohms value will do (continuity=0 ohms, no continuity= infinite resistance)

and it's not necessarily done between a point and ground, it's connectivity between two points in general.

edit: the word continuity

Edited by rosch

• 10 months later...

I have had several multimeters in all price ranges and i have never seen one wo the beeping function, strange...

I just bought a fluke for my job, and it turned out to limit on 1k wich was bad, because i need to measure in the range from 0 to 10k as i work with alarmsystems. Big misstake, so if u buy a new multimeter then make sure it does what u need hehe. I discovered this after writing my name all over it, so no chance of returning it hehe, and it wasnt cheap! About 100 euros.