Testing SIDs While I wait for PCBs

Amanita

Ofcourse you can always just test them in a C64.. if you got one - if you pulled the SIDs yourself chances are that you have a working C64 which could be used to test SIDs with. Try playing some hefty SID-files (Hubbard or the likes) that you know already, and you will quickly discover if it does not sound as it should.

Just be aware of the 9V/12V difference in SID and C64 ofcourse, so you won't blow any of your delicious chips. Also, the 6581 won't play mixed waveforms so be sure to find SID-files that are compatible with both chips, or the 6581s will sound dead at times.

But it's a cheap and easy test, i did it myself a few times, and actually i only found 6581s with errors. The 8580s and 6582s i tried never had a problem at all.

Hi - thanks for that. The C64's i've acquired all have reported problems - i've basically bought up machines for spares. A mix of chips has resulted so far - 3 x 6581 (1983 vintage) and 2 x 8580 (1989 and 1990). 2 more machines on the way. The PCBs i'm waiting for are for the MB6582. I guess i could get the SID module and PIC Core up and running more quickly than i'm realistically going to build the MB6582 - maybe thats the way forward (if i'm understanding things right).

A