The problem is easy to understand: I wanted to drop my PC keyboard + mouse during live performance in order to be focused on music/sound/live. The only way to solve my problem was to use an hardware to control Ableton Live, but not only that, I need a feedback from it too. But I need a lot of pots/knobs, a lot of multicolor lights, a lot of buttons...
I need a big hardware without multifunctional knobs, sub-menu you have to choose to change the function of this button etc etc : I need to have ALL under my eyes and I need that EVERYTIME. I looked for the perfect controller, but I didn't find it. only monochrome stuff or 2/3 colors leds, only few pots with a billion of sub-sub-menu to change encoders function etc. So, I guess ... I have to think, read, code, test, build, learn to solder better... to create my OWN hardware.
I have to thanks a lot of people which helped me A LOT ; without you, this story wouldn't have been possible!
- Denis St Amand:: my quebec friend! he helps me a lot about the structure, screws etc, the PCBs too. he would have helped me with midibox if I didn't do things before to ask him...
- Mike/Noofny :: the guy who made the deltadeck. he inspired me and gave me the power to build the protodeck
- Tim/smashTV :: the guy who makes the very best/reliablest/cheapest midibox modules in the world!
- Lucem :: the guy who helped me about driving a common anode RGB leds matrix
- nILS :: one of the guy connected everytime on old-school IRC midibox channel. thanks you didn't laugh at me (too much) while I asked question...
and obviously, Thorsten Klose, the great midibox creator and guru!
the first demo is here
THE PROTODECK controller features
- 87 potentiometers
- 90 buttons
- 81 rgb leds
- 2x20 LCD
- 2 PIC 18F4620 (20MHz RISC processors)
- fully custom rgb led drivers
- fully custom firmware
- 2 MIDI IN/OUT interface
- power supply unit included in the box
THE REAL OPENSOURCE
As a lot, I really believe in open-source
It provides power to break all walls.
So I decided to deliver ALL about the protodeck here
I can answer questions, but you have to read carefully before asking.
I cannot guarantee answering quickly
I'll begin VERY soon some workshops around controller design and technology for artistic expression
If you're interested: email@example.com
My website: protofuse.net
and julienbayle.net too
my email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I'm more available on chat on msn and gtalk at email@example.com
Edited by nILS, 22 April 2010 - 13:51.
removed 129 font tags