electronic switching

Dimitree

Hi everyone

I'm using a core to drive with MIDI 4 relays. Those relays are making a simple short between Tip and Sleeve of a jack connector, or sometimes I use it to "force" the push of a momentary switch on other circuits, like this: TL1105BF160Q.jpg

Now I'd like to remove the relays (expensive and too big) and replace them with an electronic switch like the CD4066 (this one got 4 switch in one chip). Is it possible? how can I connect it to the digital outs?

many thanks

Yes, it's possible to connect 4066 to a DOUT and to use them as bidirectional switches.

Connect Vss to ground, Vdd to 5V (*), CONT A/B/C/D to digital outputs of a DOUT module, and the SW pins to the circuit that should be controlled.

(*) Vdd can be higher if you plan to control a circuit that works at higher voltages - it should be at least the target voltage.

Only disadvantage: in distance to relays (or optocouplers) they are not galvanically separated from the digital circuit (MBHP_CORE, MBHP_DOUT), but if this doesn't matter you will be happy with this approach.

If bidirectional voltages are switched, you have to shift them to a mid level.

Audio signals will get some additional noise.

If galvanic separation or Audio signal quality is a *must* for your application, I recommend reed relays - they are small, reliable and silent (but they are also expensive...)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yes, it's possible to connect 4066 to a DOUT and to use them as bidirectional switches.

Connect Vss to ground, Vdd to 5V (*), CONT A/B/C/D to digital outputs of a DOUT module, and the SW pins to the circuit that should be controlled.

(*) Vdd can be higher if you plan to control a circuit that works at higher voltages - it should be at least the target voltage.

Only disadvantage: in distance to relays (or optocouplers) they are not galvanically separated from the digital circuit (MBHP_CORE, MBHP_DOUT), but if this doesn't matter you will be happy with this approach.

If bidirectional voltages are switched, you have to shift them to a mid level.

Audio signals will get some additional noise.

If galvanic separation or Audio signal quality is a *must* for your application, I recommend reed relays - they are small, reliable and silent (but they are also expensive...)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

many thanks!

so I could just connect the 4066 to the DOUT, great!

about the separation, I don't have the schematic of the board I have to control with me, so I don't know if there could be some problem. At least there's no audio signal involved. I believe the momentary switches that I'm going to force, are simple connected to +Vdd just like we would connect a momentary switch to DIN module (but I don't know if the voltage is the same, at least not higher than 5V for sure)