SDcard Types?

Altitude

I have absolutely no knowledge of what types of SD cards exist or their differences and I dont see too much info here or on the wiki so can anyone shed some light on what I should be looking for the core32/Seq4?

TIA.

Edited by Altitude

It's not a big mystery.

There are just two defining features: Size and Speed

I think the size part is pretty obvious. As for the speed:

The following are the ratings of some currently available cards:

* Class 2: 16 Mbit/s (2 MB/s)

* Class 4: 32 Mbit/s (4 MB/s)

* Class 6: 48 Mbit/s (6 MB/s)

* Class 10: 80 Mbit/s (10 MB/s)

The highspeed ones are used in camera's where speed really matters. These are a bit more expensive. The Class 2 and 4 ones are similarly priced. So either of those should do the trick as i don't think speed is a big issue in this case. For size you will probably do fine with a 1 GB one. I don't think you can buy much smaller ones these days.

As per Wikipedia there are also references to the old way of using 1.2Mbps as the base for x-speeds. Somewhere in the Wiki it is stated that you should get a card that is safe for 100x, or 15MB/s write speed so that MB_seq can write data while still operating in real time. I think it sounds a bit demanding, but I found some nice 4GB SDHC cards that were ok for less than 20 USD so there's no need to skimp on the cards.

Please note that the amount of data you'll likely write is very small (a few MBs or so), and that 4GB is the absolute maximum amount that can be addressed. MB_seq doesn't do exFAT or any such tricks used to address higher capacity SDHC or SDXC cards.

Edited by olga42

• 5 months later...