Meter Bridge

pilo

Hey Pilo...

Yes, as far as I know the meter bars are workin exactly as the normal led rings. I have the ledmeters ready and waiting on a sep core inside my LC, along with the MTC digits and 1 standard slider (assigned to master), havnt set this core up yet tho :P

Best

Dan

Edit: oops, looks like i spoke to soon :P

hehe I'm too fast! but I'm not going to build this berfore 2 or 3 month ;) But I think I should see in LC manual how this work! ;)

And yes I saw those beautiful led bar under the screen on your LC Dan!!! looks VERY good! And as I asked, can we have more photo??? héhé For the display panel, you use a "mask" no?

And as I asked, can we have more photo héhé For the display panel, you use a "mask" no?

heh, sure - it's just my i havnt been able to get at my web space as my domain is gettin moved, so i cant upload the pics anywhere...i'll could email them i guess...

what do u mean by 'mask'? the display panel is just a regular project box, with 2 hollow rods connecting it to  to the main case. In these rods are all the wires from the componets in the display box than run down, into the main case where they are then connected to the core etc...

The artwork for the display box was just printed off in the inkjet and then i spray mounted some clear acetate over it. i also thought about putting some glass over the display to make it flush with the rest of the panel aswell as give it some protection - but i havnt done this yet...my mind is already pondering a bigger LC+XT+C4 :D

Best

Dan

The LC handling itself already has been implemented, the bars are visible on the screen. The firmware also allows to switch the LEDrings between "normal" and "metering" mode.

The only feature which is missing is the possibility to use LEDrings and meters in parallel with a single core - and this will be implemented as soon as I've enhanced my own hardware (so that I can test the code). --- the same for external MTC digits.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

great Thorsten ;)

I want to finish my LC soon!!! (to work on the java client for example!!!).

still need those MF.. grrrrr

Hum if you can send me foto by mail Dan, I will be very happy!!!! :D

the C4 is the plugin control?

Thorsten a meter bridge and MTC is the only feature so far missing which is a must have for me, and it's great to hear we're close however.

I am designing a box at the moment and I will include a meter bridge for later addition, when implemented though will the meter bridge be able to support stereo channels ie a left and right output per channel (16 vu's for 8 channels) or will it be mono only?

Will there be a limit on the number of LED's it can drive in the bar, I was looking at 20 using 2 10 segment arrays.

Will it fit on a single core with an already full LC emulation or will it require an additional core?

also Dan I'd love some more pictures of your clone also, if you wanted to mail me them I could host them on my web space and create a thread with the additional photos for you?

get me at sidysm_nospam_@dsl.pipex.com if you want to.

Thorsten a meter bridge and MTC is the only feature so far missing which is a must have for me, and it's great to hear we're close however.

I am designing a box at the moment and I will include a meter bridge for later addition, when implemented though will the meter bridge be able to support stereo channels ie a left and right output per channel (16 vu's for 8 channels) or will it be mono only?

Will there be a limit on the number of LED's it can drive in the bar, I was looking at 20 using 2 10 segment arrays.

Will it fit on a single core with an already full LC emulation or will it require an additional core?

Metering is supported by the Logic Control protocol, when you take a look into the source code you will already find the handler which converts the appr. MIDI events to bars which are displayed at the LCD

The resolution (LEDs) is limited by the protocol, it's 8 channel Mono.

It doesn't require an additional core.

If you would like to realize a meter bridge for audio signals: this would be a seperate project, and this would require an additional core.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

If you would like to realize a meter bridge for audio signals: this would be a seperate project, and this would require an additional core.

Anyone else interested in working on this? It should be a piece of cake really, measure incoming signal strength, convert to digital, use a set of led's to display the value... I'll do the code if someone else wants to do the hardware...

Guest den_Juin

Anyone else interested in working on this? It should be a piece of cake really, measure incoming signal strength, convert to digital, use a set of led's to display the value... I'll do the code if someone else wants to do the hardware...

Hardware:

000059.gif

This way it runs in DOT mode, link Pin 9 to Pin 3 and then it will work in BAR mode.

R1 = 1 kW

C1 = 2,2 mF

D2-D11 = LED

IC1 = LM 3915

coding:

none needed

Guest den_Juin
LM3915 is expensive! I've made a meter like that in my first amp... With a PIC we can have more meter !!!

Yeah, but a extra core and dout just for a VU meter?

LM3915 = ~ 4 euro's over here.

Handy schematic thanks dude! :)

See the thing about doing a MIOS based meterbridge, is that the code can be used in other applications...

(stryd one pulls out his bag of ideas)

Anyone ever seen the Red Sound Systems Voyager Beat Xtractor? It reads an incoming audio signal, grabs the beat out of it, and sends MIDI Clock signals in tempo sync... Very cool, stupidly expensive, and now unavailable. I want to make a MIOS one, one of these days (after the sequencer, switching patchbay, synth etc... Don't hold your breath hehehehe)

Anyway the point is, that it's handy code :)

Anyone ever seen the Red Sound Systems Voyager Beat Xtractor? It reads an incoming audio signal, grabs the beat out of it, and sends MIDI Clock signals in tempo sync... Very cool, stupidly expensive, and now unavailable. I want to make a MIOS one, one of these days (after the sequencer, switching patchbay, synth etc... Don't hold your breath hehehehe)

Heya Stryd!

I have a voyager!  I love it completely, it's one of the coolest boxes I have ever seen.  I was extremely sceptical about how well it would work (most beat counters out there are pure crap) but the voyager works well enough that you don't even have to think about it.  It grabs the beat quick and lights up to know when it's locked.  It will accurately generate clock on everything from a slow ballad to drum-n-bass.  It's expensive because there is actually DSP in there, and what seems to be a huge amount of R&D behind their detection firmware.  For those interested I use it on the lighting control the same way as the SMPTE box to generate time code, so the lighting changes only happen in perfect time with the music.

Anyway, think parametric eq-so you can pick the frequency of the beat you want to trigger on, AGC-so the level will be constant, then drive a 3915 with the selected signal and trigger into MIOS from your choice of the LED outputs via a transistor.  It's the best way without diving into DSP, and it should keep things simple-easy to DIY.

Have fun!

SmashTV

Heya Stryd!

I have a voyager!  I love it completely, it's one of the coolest boxes I have ever seen.  I was extremely sceptical about how well it would work (most beat counters out there are pure crap) but the voyager works well enough that you don't even have to think about it.  It grabs the beat quick and lights up to know when it's locked.  It will accurately generate clock on everything from a slow ballad to drum-n-bass.  It's expensive because there is actually DSP in there, and what seems to be a huge amount of R&D behind their detection firmware.  For those interested I use it on the lighting control the same way as the SMPTE box to generate time code, so the lighting changes only happen in perfect time with the music.

Anyway, think parametric eq-so you can pick the frequency of the beat you want to trigger on, AGC-so the level will be constant, then drive a 3915 with the selected signal and trigger into MIOS from your choice of the LED outputs via a transistor.  It's the best way without diving into DSP, and it should keep things simple-easy to DIY.

Have fun!

SmashTV

Hmm, that's strange. I've worked with that Voyager thing and it couldn't 'understand' drum&bass for a long time. In other words ;D it would go out of sync after a while. But it understands tekstep (which is a d&b style if you don't know) better, because it has regular snare hits in comparison to d&b that has a lot breakbeat-edits with irregular snare en kickdrum hits which the voyager doesn't seem to get a grip on.

But,....all 4x4 'steady' based music (house and stuff like that) went fine with the voyager.

Next time i'm visiting my friend who has it, i'm going to do some new tests with it. Just to make sure.... ;D

Hmm, that's strange. I've worked with that Voyager thing and it couldn't 'understand' drum&bass for a long time. In other words ;D it would go out of sync after a while. But it understands tekstep (which is a d&b style if you don't know) better, because it has regular snare hits in comparison to d&b that has a lot breakbeat-edits with irregular snare en kickdrum hits which the voyager doesn't seem to get a grip on.

But,....all 4x4 'steady' based music (house and stuff like that) went fine with the voyager.

Next time i'm visiting my friend who has it, i'm going to do some new tests with it. Just to make sure.... ;D

heya Nomical!

You might want to make sure it has the "V2" firmware in it, if not have your friend email redsound to get the update rom.  It greatly improved what was already the best beat detector out there.

Also note that there are jumpers inside to select the audio level that the box works at, it will work if they are set wrong but not as well as if they are set for the turntables/cd players he is using.

I have never had mine go out of sync, even after hours of constant mix fed to it by the DJ's.

Have fun!

Smash