Not sure if both SIDS are working

jdchevallier

Hi Joel,

the sammich features one Stereo SID Modul controlled by one core. That means - like Julian said - it is basically monotimbral but with stereo sound (One SID per audio channel).

So if you got sound coming out of both of your speakers, both SIDs are working. If one SID is broken, you would hear only one speaker (assuming you use a stereo jack on the audio output).

Even though the sammich is basically a monotrimbral Synth there are some "polyphonic" patches in which the 3 different oscillators of each SID can be played independently by different midi notes.

E.g. dial in patch number A016 "poly...something" and play two ore more notes on your keyboard and you will notice that the rows of status LEDs at the top will display the oscillators of both of your SIDs (3 each).

If you dont have a keyboard ready dial in patch 33 "drum kit xy" and wittness various Drumsounds played by the two chips.

So..if that´s working your SIDs should be fine. If not, post a follow up and we work it out.

Anyway I´d recommend you reading the WIKI and the SID user manual (http://ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual_fs.html), it appears you have missed that so far...

Thank you both for you're responses. I did read the sid manual hastily when looking for an answer, but still wasn't clear. After a while it felt like I was spinning in a vacuum so I thought I'd reach out on the forum.

The sammich does make a tone on boot. What alarmed me initially was when I'd use any of the poly patches the leds would flash asymmetrically, from the left side to the right, and when the right side was lit no sound would emit from the box. When I dove into the menu this was alleviated when I selected the mono option in sid submenu.

I will read the wiki and manuals a bit more thoroughly, but there's a ton of information and it can be daunting and hard to navigate/comprehend.

Again, thank you both a TON for the responses. Hopefully as I become more informed I can help another struggling noob in the future.

:-)

Hi Joel. I don't have a sammich but on my MB6582 if I put a Busted SID in on of the slots the machine will try and play it like normal... It just won't play. Same with SID V2.

If you want to test the SID, POWER DOWN! - Place SID2 in SID1 spot and fire it back up.

edit: +1 to what JV said. +2 to what Phunk said. Do what Phunk said. You can also put different Waveforms on the left and right channels and pan them on your mixer

Edited by JRock

I definitely sold you two fully tested 6582A SIDs.

The problem is most likely either a hardware fault on one channel, or what nILS said.

The easiest way to test if both SIDs are working and outputting on both channels is to use the default (init) Multi patch, check the "Mono" mode is off (in the Ensemble) and play some notes... the notes will be played using one oscillator from each of the SIDs, i.e. if you don't hold down more than one key at a time, notes will be output:

SID L, osc 1

SID L, osc 2

SID L, osc 3

SID R, osc 1

SID R, osc 2

SID R, osc 3

and on sammichSID, you'll also see which osc is being used by the LED matrix (like you said before, the right side will be lit for the right SID/channel).