Wich resistor to use with my LEDs

technobreath

Hey,

I'm soon finished soldering my basepcd for the mb6582, and I was wondering what resistors to use with my LEDs,

I bought 3mm red leds from smashTV, and I was wondering if it was ok to use 220 ohm resistors with those. The brightness should be normal. Anyone who built the mb6582 with those LEDs or similar who can share their specs?

thanks!

Hey,

from a technical point of view using 220 ohm with a standard red LED on 5V is definitely ok and pretty much the all time recommendation.

Depending on the LED dropout Voltage you get about 15-20mA at the LED, so exactly what is need by a standard type.

:)

Anything else is personal preference. You could try it with different resistor values and a 5V source though...

That would be my suggestion as well - stick a few LEDs into the CS pcb (w/o soldering them) and some resistors in the base board (w/o soldering them) and see what you like best. Then imagine you have more than 1 or 2 liit at the same time ;)

Thanks.

Ill just use the 220 ohm. I have no cs pcb to test them with, and havent built the psu yet. I could always go with a c64 psu, i have two spares, but i want to build my own and use a standard 230v cord in the back of the box. Takes up less space when transporting and i like it robust, so when i take it on gigs it will not break as easy, and if some pa guy helps rigging there will be no questions, and it would be a shame if the psu broke in any way and i have to buy a new one just to power it up...

Im regretting a bit on the decition on making my own cs, it would be easier to stuff a ready made board, but i want a different looking cs and another case, so its probably just as fine to build the cs pcb from modules of those prototyping boards or what they are called. It will be messier inside, but that is probably the easiest way when doing a non standard build.

I have some metres of those nylon tubes to run cables through so its gonna be nice that way, but the bottom side of the cs boards will look somewhat less pro no matter what i do using prototype boards, but ill live. No goal to make it as perfect as wilbas box - it looks like its made on a pro assembly line hehe. All my respect to wilba for that. But im sure i get it nice on the outside anyway...

Im lucky enough to be next door neighbour with a guy who runs a shop who makes all kinds of stickers, signs, car venyls etc, so he will do my front panel silkscreen pretty cheap, and its just 5 minutes away. I also live 5 minutes from a big factory who does a lot of metal work, lasercut and waterjet, and i happends to know one of the bosses there, who is my former neighbour, and he will cut my panel cheap and also bend the alu for a custom box, but im not sure what kind of box to use yet, so well see.