DOUTx1 Design

deletemeplease

If you made a proper board layout and had it fabbed, you would get away with 0 cuts and 0 bridges :D

Yes, true, but I don't really have time to etch myself. Plus I have a cupboard full of photo chemicals, and I don't think my girlfriend would be happy with ferric chloride in there too! I couldn't seem to find prices for fabrication in the UK. Is it worth doing? I would prefer a PCB really.

Size of the boards is usually a problem - the smaller the board, the more expensive it gets. There are, however, web sites that offer PCB space to share with others, thus reducing costs significantly. I have recently bought from here, and I can only recommend this highly! The only minor "issue" might be that you will have to buy boards in multiples of three.

I have recently bought from here, and I can only recommend this highly!

WOW! I had never heard of this before! I think I have a few jobs for them... but it's absolutely overkill for a DOUTx1.

Pulsewidth, regarding your posted layout: dude, you're making a lot of work for yourself by using stripboard, and even more work by turning your IC the wrong way. For such a small board it will make very little difference if you run the 5V under the IC uninterrupted, but if you really want to do that, just run a piece of insulated wire on the underside of the board to directly connect the 5V pins on the header strips.

May I recommend you consider an alternate prototype board layout. Stripboard, which you're using, is only one type of prototype board. Personally, I often use the stuff with the breadboard layout (see attached image, borrowed from http://www.netams.com/~anton/usb-adc/index.html) ... just use a hacksaw to cut off as much as you need.

At the end of the day you want something that works, looks nice, and is easy to troubleshoot. There are a hundred different ways you could approach this, and none of them are really wrong.

"Opinions are like assholes ... everybody's got one." -- unknown author

post-3554-017483200 1296139043_thumb.jpg

OK I've had some time to think, and plan out another layout. This one has fewer cuts, and I could make this even smaller. I like the look of that prototyping board you suggest Nebula.

post-3578-026630200 1296140101_thumb.png

I need to make this as small as possible, as I'm making a MIDI bank switch for my guitar effects box, and I want to cram it into as small a space as possible. Even the small Core board is looking massive!