Madronas LAB

bosone

i admit i did not understand a lot about how it works, but the prototype seems VERY interesting...

the only drawback is that it seems to require a 8x8 audio interface for signal acquiring.

any chance to do this with MIOS??

Soundplane 1

Soundplane 2

quote:

"The Soundplane 8x8 is a force-sensing surface you can build yourself. It's made from wood, rubber, copper and plastic. It's entirely passive, meaning that there are no electronics inside that require power. Instead, an eight-in, eight-out audio interface along with DSP software is used for sensing and calibration.

Please see the NIME 2009 paper, written by Randy Jones and colleagues at the Univeristy of Victoria, for more information and construction tips. A more thorough, step-by-step guide is planned, but the information here should be enough to get your controller started. If you have questions, get in touch via our forums.

The software requires Max/MSP/Jitter to run. The Max/MSP/Jitter SDK is needed to compile it. All of this software is Mac only, but should be easy to port to Windows. I'm releasing it under the MIT License, which basically says: reprinting or use of the software must be attributed, and the software comes with no warranty.

There is a lot of tolerance in various parts of the design, including thickness of materials. If you can find something close to what is specified, try it!"

Edited by bosone

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked at this some time ago - the I/O is probably the most expensive bit. You need to build an 8 input High audio frequency interface.

I reckon that the generators for the outputs could be hardware, or small DCOs, but you still need 8 by audio range A->D systems.

It's definitely possible, but it might take quite a lot of work. Due to the nature of the design, you might do it with a Core 32, but a better approach would be to use a dedicated DSP chip, which puts you in a different and frankly difficult realm. The good bit is, that if someone were cool enough to do the firmware, the rest of the project might just be possible.

Other thoughts are, that with most modern audio A->D chips and DSPs, you'd have to go surface mount for the project. Once done, it could self tune, and be useful for a whole range of things. Sadly, the flexible display is a long way off and some kind of visual feedback is good. Having had a quick look at his code, it's quite complex, even though Max/MSP takes care of a lot of stuff, and would seem to need quite a lot of computing horsepower to run.

There is a quote that there are two kinds of software problem: Trivial - I know how to do this, but I have no idea how long it will take, and complex - I have no idea how to do this. I guess this is in the first category, though it would take a long time, and be quite expensive for a DIY project at the hardware level, (by this I'm considering a firmware based solution, outputting MIDI or better OSC).

A few thoughts, anyway.