[Idea] MIDI Envelope + LFO box

sylwester

Hi,

I'd like to write something about an idea I had recently.

I've been thinking of building a stand-alone programmable MIDI Envelope Generator + LFO based on the MIDIbox core

which almost has the LFO settings as used in the MIDIbox sequencer v4, but with more (and programmable) waveforms/

wavetables and an envelope generator (ADSR/ADHSR) that might be internally routed by a routing matrix.

From the technical point of view, I've been thinking about a box according to the KISS-principle.

A 2x40 character LCD, a few buttons and one menu encoder, 4 x MIDI-Out, 4 x MIDI-In..

What do you think about such an idea? Anyone interested?

Edited by sylwester

* been there done that :)

* I did pretty much just that for AOUT though - outputting LFOs via MIDI seems like a bit of a stretch (low resolution + low bandwidth or decent resolution + even tinier bandwidth)

* one button per 4 or 5 characters under the LCD, menu encoder + "ok/shift" and "abort" button is pretty much the most flexible and simplest user interface you can get away with

I've been thinking of building a stand-alone programmable MIDI Envelope Generator + LFO based on the MIDIbox core

which almost has the LFO settings as used in the MIDIbox sequencer v4, but with more (and programmable) waveforms/

wavetables and an envelope generator (ADSR/ADHSR) that might be internally routed by a routing matrix.

What do you think about such an idea? Anyone interested?

I think it's a really cool idea. I remember back in the early to mid 1980's I read a review in Keyboard Magazine for a stange app for the Apple II called "Modzilla" from "Pomme de Terre Software". All the app did is provide numerous software LFOs, which could be set to control different parameters on a Juno-106 via Sysex. I still remember reading about it almost 30 years later as I was just learning about MIDI, which was new at the time, and the reviewer took a little time to speculate on how cool little programs like this, combined with MIDI, will revolutionize the way we work with electronic instruments.

Anyway ...

Do you think it might be more appropriate to start with the MB-SID app, which already has 6 simultaneous LFOs and 2 ADSRs? It's already equipped to send via AOUT, so perhaps the app could be modified to send the mod values from each source to MIDI OUT, at specific intervals.

Edited by nebula

Do you think it might be more appropriate to start with the MB-SID app, which already has 6 simultaneous LFOs and 2 ADSRs? It's already equipped to send via AOUT, so perhaps the app could be modified to send the mod values from each source to MIDI OUT, at specific intervals.

Well, as nILS already said MIDI is quite slow and you will be probably experiencing some bandwidth problems really soon.

The source code I've got from nILS looks quite promising and could be modified in a quite short time in order use it with MIDI.

I'll be doing that at the week-end and if nILS would agree, I'd share the source then.

Edited by sylwester