MB6582 / Display Compatibility

orange_hand

Hi,

I try to get all the parts of the control surface for the MB6582 together. I have got the PCB's from SmashTV. Initially I was looking for the same red display used by Wilba but I can't find it. I found the following ones:

http://cgi.ebay.de/LCD-Display-HD44780-4x20-chr-20x4-BLUE-neg-Backlight-/160527475580?pt=Bauteile&hash=item25602ee37c

http://cgi.ebay.de/LCD-Display-HD44780-4x20-chr-20x4-Green-neg-Backlight-/170440870233?pt=Bauteile&hash=item27af114959

http://cgi.ebay.de/LCD-Display-HD44780-4x20-chr-20x4-Yellow-neg-Backlight-/170459060245?pt=Bauteile&hash=item27b026d815

http://cgi.ebay.de/LCD-Display-HD44780-4x20-chr-20x4-Black-NEG-Backlight-/170440872374?pt=Bauteile&hash=item27af1151b6

Will these work in the MB6502 ? I wanted to make sure not to buy the wrong one..

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

Those displays look OK. You need to compare the dimensions with the "standard" one, see here: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wilba_mb_6582_control_surface_parts_list

You should look at the spacing of the corner mount holes and the size of the bezel (check it will fit in the hole). At first glance, it looks OK.

The red/black one I used is here: http://character-lcd-lcds.shopeio.com/inventory/details.asp?id=1287&cat=Lcds&sub=Character%20Lcd

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am currently preparing myself to assemble the MB6582 control surface pcb when I came across the following knowledge gap :-)

I bought the display mentioned by Wilba in this thread. Attached you will find the pin specification:

01_display_pins.jpg

So far so good, but where can I find the specification of the pins on the base pcb ?

02_mb6582_j15_core1.jpg

I wonder which pin of the display has to be connected to a pin on the pcb ? Is there somewhere a table with an explanation what the purpose of each pin on the pcb is ?

Cheers

orange

Hi,

I found the following information on ucapps:

http://ucapps.de/mbhp_lcd.html

I wonder if this applies to the display I bought ?

04_lcd_4bit_mios8.jpg

I ask because there is also the 8 bit mode which would look like this:

05_lcd_8bit_mios8.jpg

So which one would be the right wiring for my display ? I assume that I have to go with the 4 bit version as I am using the PIC 18F4685, but what do I have to do with the pullup resistor. Is this resistor really necessary ?

Thanks

orange

Edited by orange_hand

Hi,

Hmm, Chapter 7 - looks like my CrystalFonts pdf :)

Since the pins match mine here we go.

Please also be aware that assuming a standard 16-pin flat cable the pinning from right (Sids higher up than the cores of the baseboard) will be thus:

1,9,2,10,3,11,4,12,... up to 8, 16.

Therefore we also denote cable strands like so: [x]

J15_Core1 pins to display pin:

1[1]:   D7 - Dpin 14

9[2]:   B+ - Dpin 15 (Led+, A, Anode)

2[3]:   D6 - Dpin 13

10[4]:  B- - Dpin 16 (Led-, K, Cathode)

3[5]:   D5 - Dpin 12

11[6]:  Vb - Dpin 1 (Gnd)

4[7]:   D4 - Dpin 11

12[8]:  Vd - Dpin 2 (+5V)

5[9]:   D3 - Dpin 10

13[10]: VO - Dpin 3 (VLDD, variable)

6[11]:  D2 - Dpin 9

14[12]: RS - Dpin 4

7[13]:  D1 - Dpin 8

15[14]: RW - Dpin 5

8[15]:  DO - Dpin 7

16[16]: E  - Dpin 6

Don't be bothered by the 4-bit mode unless your display does something really weird. Also, remember to turn the P2CoreN trimmer so that you can see something else than a blank display for Core1 and possibly the other cores if you're testing those.

Good luck!

Edited by jojjelito

It will ´prolly work... the MB6582 default firmware uses the 4bit mode, so you can refer to that wiring diagram.

Also, the 6582 baseboard PCB supports the 8-bit mode, but it needs to be modded a little bit for that, I learned that from Wilba today. If he is asked nicely, he can provide details.

Hi jojjelito,

thanks for the quick reply. I have summarized it in the following overview which will help me later to build the cable:

06_wiring_red_orient_display_AMC2004A.jpg

So you mean that I can connect D0 to D3 without a problem ? Only if there is a problem with the display I should remove the connection for D0 to D3 ?

Thanks

orange

Edited by orange_hand

You can connect db0 to db3 or just leave them unconnected, it should not matter, since 4-bit mode is used nevertheless.

I connected db0-db3 in the photo tutorial -> there is also a description there how the soldering order was derived, but yours looks pretty good in my eyes.

Nice summary by the way... if all works out, as I expect, please tell me later on - i would then link to it from the photo tutorial, if I may.

Bye,

Hawkeye

Hiya,

Well, I connected all the data lines. So far there hasn't been any problems but since my CS has been in flux, and not really completed I haven't really ran my MB6582 for any long sessions yet. I'm about to finish the CS (must add LEDs around the encoders, plus detachable cabling) so that I can finally take her out to sea. My CS so far has been something I veroboarded for kicks. Then we shall see about that OLED thingy... And that external filter/VCA box with a beefy PSU.

Great picture BTW! You should add this to the Wiki. You have to be retarded or very very very tired not to succeed following this :logik:

Cheers!

Edited by jojjelito

Hi Hawkeye,

sure, I am still struggling to find the right cable and connector. I would like to have a proper 2x8 socket on the base pcb, but I need to check out Reichelt and Mouser to find the right thing ....

At the moment my base PCB is looking like this (started 5 days ago):

03_mb6582_base_pcb_day_5.jpg

There is still a big piece of work left :-)

Cheers

orange

Edited by orange_hand

Looking good!

I went with the very low-profile PCB connectors at Reichelt (art 32346) for my base board to CS and hope to report back shortly when done. See the post Please note that the white ones are taller so you have to see past the nasty 70/80s' colour (it's in a box anyways).

The LCD got connected with normal dual pin header like those for your other cores, no special IDC socket in my case. But, try it and let us know. It won't hurt if you can fit it.

:frantics:

Edited by jojjelito