Sammich Power Regulator vs. Power Supply

Param1

I connected my power supply directly to the SID 8580 because the power supply does not deliver enough voltage for use with the sammich power regulators. It works fine tho. I am wondering if there is any disadvantage in doing so. SID Longevity or something, dunno.

Normally, if your power supply fails or spikes, the voltage regulator will take the 'hit' and smooth the voltage to 9V as much as it can, therefore protecting your SID chip. Also it reduces noise/ripple which you may (or may not) hear back in your audio. The additional capacitors after the voltage regulator are there for the noise/ripple reduction as well.

Can you clarify exactly what you are doing?

i.e. are you using shunts in JP set to 6581 but using 8580 SIDs?

What power supply are you using?

I'm not sure if what you are doing is "safe" or makes any sense, actually... the 8580 needs 9V supply, so if you're connecting 9V DC input power directly to the SID, then how is the 7809 supposed to work with input voltage equal to output voltage?

Guys, I somewhat talked BS.

I just had a look at the pcblayout.pdf. What I did is overriding the bridge rectifier by using shunts at JBP.

JP is set to 8580. I thought overriding the bridge rectifier meant overriding the whole voltage regulation :logik:

But as I can see from the layout, everything is behind JBP, the big condenser, 7809 etc.

So I assume I am safe from PSU Spikes and the like, is that right?

And my original question needs to be: Is there any disadvantage by NOT using the bridge rectifier?

p.s.

I use a stabilized psu (NOT switchmode) which delivers 11.5 V. If I use the bridge rectifier the SID only gets about 8.5V. I guess exactly the 0.5V missing at the PSU itself (11.5V vs. 12V!)

Board Member rbv2 has the same PSU by the way. He also gets 11.5V although the PSU is advertised with 12V.

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/518322/STECKERNETZGERAeT-PA-1000S-LED

But I would not care if overiding the rectifier is no problem in the long run. Thanks guys

If the polarity is reversed (worst case), it will just short through two diodes in parallel, and they're rated at 1.5A of current. The sammichSID probably won't blow up, and even the bridge rectifier probably won't blow up either.

Yes, there's nothing bad about it when it's working. nILS just likes to put the fear of blue smoking death into you... :rolleyes:

lol, it's mean to scare a noob like me, I am already scared by condensers :nuke: :frantics: :w00t:

You know what, seriously, if I short the big condenser of the Sammich with my fingers, after turning the Sammich off, would it hurt or even be seriously dangerous? Or is it to small?

Edited by Param1

Param1, I did the same as per an earlier thread (bypassing the rectifier) since I have the same situation.

Got a 12v PSU but I measured it to 11.3v, it's not a switchmode PSU but simply not up to the advertised spec.

I measured the voltages going to the SIDs after bypassing the rectifier and it was exactly 9.0v.