My SID won't turn on

bleeptor

Hi everyone. My SID was working just fine with a 15 VDC 800 mA power supply, until it just stopped working. Well actually I always had a problem: it would get stuck booting for a while, but most of the time it would boot and I could use it. The problem started when I connected a new banksticks, then most of the patches got erased and then it would just stop working. I don't know if that was just a coincidence. When I checked the voltage on the power supply it would read 20 V more or less. It was flucuating a lot. I don't know if the chip burned out or what. Should I get a new power supply and test the unit? Could it be another problem? I'll appreciate some help! Thanks

Hi there,

The voltage seems high, even before your 20V measurement, I guess for most uses a 12V supply should be max.

What kind of PSU it is? Regulated or Unregulated?

Could you provide us with more information, which kind of MIDIbox SID (SammichSid, Modular, MB6582) it is? Which and how many SIDs are you using?

Depending on the type of your MIDIbox SID, there are instructions in the Wiki how to measure correct voltages on various locations on the PCB.

If you are confident, that your PSU is suitable for your MIDIbox (I am not sure right now), first remove your SIDs to protect them, then measure voltages and report back.

Best regards

Edit: just saw your previous posts... 15V is ok for a 6581 which requires 12V (and you use a 12v voltage regulator)... can you remove the SID and measure voltages then?

Edited by Hawkeye

• 5 months later...

It's been such a long time since I started this thread, and I really didn't have the time or patience to check the voltages, but I did it finally. There's nothing. No voltage on any of the chips. When I test the SID I get something like 0.02(pins 14 and 25) and when I test pins 14 and 28 I get 11.8 V. I don't know if that's relevant. I tested it with the same power supply, which I don't really know if it's regulated, but I'm guessing it is not. Please help!

It powers on! The 7805 regulator had a broken leg. I just changed it, connected it to the old 15 V PSU and it worked. Now i'm having the same problem I had before it stopped turning on. Something's wrong with my banksticks. I reuploaded the SID App( 6581.hex) from MIOS studio but I can't access any sound except LEAD PATCH and A003 TECHNO 5th. I have my banksticks(24LC512) connected as A=0. I also tried with another chip(24LLC256) and same thing happens. In both of the cases after the 064 empty patch it reads "no bankstick". I used to have all the sounds here but when i tried connecting a new bankstick for the ensemble, something happened and it erased the patches. I don't know what's wrong here.

Hi,

May be I am wrong.

I understood , there are the memory chips addressing mistake:

http://www.ucapps.de...i_bankstick.pdf

When multiple EEPROMs are put on the same "chain", pins 4-8 will be connected together (like you have in this picture)... but E0/E1/E2 must be different, they give that IC it's "ID". It's simplified a bit... you would connect up the 5V and ground pins also... this means you can join many pins of one IC together and then just connect each IC to a common wire.

You can remove any of the ICs in this schematic.... ie. you can have just two, one with ID=0 and one with ID=7 (for MB-SID this is good, ID=7 is used for the "ensemble" storage, ID=0 to ID=6 is for patches).

Regards,

Janis