SeqV4 19" panel / case

rosch

hi guys!

it seems i need some advice on the panel / case design.

i'd like to build the Seqv4 into a 3HE 19" case. i bought a case from ebay, which turned out to be horribly shitty.

i.e. the metal sheets don't really fit, apparently it's only supposed to look like a case.

also the top, bottom and side panels are angled in a way that some sort of a 1cm wide frame reaches into the front opening (on which the front panel is supposed to be mounted).

well the pcb definitely hasn't been designed for such a frame, it doesn't fit into it. so my guess would be there might be better cases for that project.

what kind of case do you guys usually take? is there maybe some good quality recommendation?

also i don't see any mounting holes on the fpd files to mount the panel to a case. there's just holes for the pcb/lcds and for mounting the unit into the rack,

unless i miss something obvious here.

so how is it planned, actually? how have other people done it? maybe i'm just imbecile?

any hint would be highly appreciated :)

Hmm, good questions. I used angled brackets to mount the other PCBs - Eth, SD-card, Core, Aout_NG plus the CV/Gate bufferoni. The entire MB-seq is affixed to an Adam Hall 12HE table rack with a side/back-cover made from plywood. Some ports are then routed/cut in the ply as needed. But, the rest of the rack is a 9HE analog modular so my use-case is atypical.

What you could do is to use more spacers and sandwich a back panel against the CS PCB using those, or try to glue something made of plywood against the panel or... This will get you a very shallow rack box. Banzai has some rack boxes for instance, but those are made of thin metal so I strongly recommend using a proper front panel with those. The good thing is that the original front panel makes a good blind plate for mounting XLR jacks or whatever on.

My 9090 front panel got drilled by me so that 4 extra holes for screws hold it against the case frame (case bought at Banzai). There is no standard placement of those holes, so depending on your rack you'll end up rolling your own. Remember that cooling the drill is a good thing when drilling aluminum.

Guess I should take pictures...

thanks jojjelito.

the banzai stuff looks similar like the thing i have. attaching a pic of the ridiculous construction of the case.

my plan was to bring the core to the backside and use its stock pcb mount midi sockets (core with hex standoffs on bottom panel).

there are only a few more pcbs inside, 4x IIC, 1x AOUT (MAX525), i'll make a small perfboard with the additional sockets from the IICs in one row - and, the gate output buffers you mention sound very interesting. but the whole gate thing is some more stuff i'll need to dig out the info about even how to obtain them from the core or aout, we'll see.

well, the case is deep enough to just cut it in halves and take the angled sides for mounting the back panels (one of which will be the so called front panel, which is nothing more than a wobbly blind panel). i'd have to cut away the angles anyways in order to fit in the control surface board.

then i'll most likely get me a decent 3mm panel from Schäffer and knock some mounting holes through the sides to mount it to some kind of brackets that i'll have to make, also in order to make the side panels more stable, though the weight will be reduced a bit when cut in halves.

in german that would be called "geknaupt"

post-5444-0-54279100-1314877152_thumb.jp

Edited by rosch

Hi Rosch,

Good idea about the box treatment you mentioned! This rack did work fine for the 9090 (2u but still) but I can see that it may be difficult to fit the CS pcb inside the opening...

Here's the PCBs (I'll make 2 from a Eurocard) plus a schematic for the MB-seq CV and gate output - nothing fancy.

This is what will be used behind the modular panel in order to use parts of the MB-seq as a MIDI-CV converter driving the modular.

A little bit of sorcerer.png thanks to TK and others.

Edit the 6th of Sept: The pinning to J5A/B on the Core32 is tad off in the included file. New versions are forthcoming, or make a cable that fixes the problems.. Just did some modular work/checking today...

Edit the 10th of Sept: Corrected J5A/B/C pinning to the gate outputs. New schemo uploaded:

MBSeqOut_1.pdf

MBSeqOutx2.pdf

Edited by jojjelito

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick one: The updated gatorade schematic is attached in the original post above. Don't blame me if you use the old version from before I checked against the Core32 J5A/B/C pinning.

Remember to always print or open the PDF schematics and sanity check all interconnections so that you avoid getting lied to and potentially costly mistakes poke.gif

Toodles!

• 1 month later...

i can sell u a 3U rack case, exactly the same as i used for my seq, as it is spare.

it comes from selectronic and is no more manufactured. it fits Wilba's PCB+ Panel (need to cut the edge)

Hi julienvoirin,

Did you ever sell this case? I may be interested. Also, which edge did you need to cut (PCB, Panel, or case)?

Thanks,

John