Question about a part that might not exist!

Kvetch

Hello folks. Im finished my MIDIBOX and am now working on some other small electronics things for my setup. Im trying to find a way to switch an entire serial cable (5 maybe 6 core) in one switch? I dont know if such a thing exists like an advanced toggle switch. Im going to have a serial cable of maybe 5 or six internal wires, and I am looking to be able to switch its connection between 2 other serial cables without having to flip 5 or 6 toggle switches.

Heres a crude example of what I mean:

magicswitch.jpg

So in this example Im trying to switch serial 1 between serials 2 and 3. I can obviosly do this by flipping 5 individual toggles but hope for a more elegant solution. Thanks for any input anyone may have!

Sean

I was looking up multi-pole rotary switches and the switches are way more expensive than the box ive shown above am I maybe looking at the wrong thing? I thought it would be 5-pole (for the 5 connections in the serial cable) x 2 way, for the A/B position. But these switches are £50 or more whereas the box Ive shown above is only £12. Id rather build the box myself as I want to make some modifications so just the switching mechanism would be great.

I was looking at these:

5 pole switches

But they are incredibly expensive!

What are u connecting together? Agreeing with lylehaze. Keep grounds together. Might be able to use a 4pole rocker switch then. But its kinda unclear if u need 5 or 6 poles.

Another alternative if u have a bit of space available is to set up a relay solution, then u only need one pole switch... You can use a relay that has NO/NC. And set up the number of relays u need. If the relay is energized, it sends the bus to the NO terminals and if not it goes to the NC terminal.

I use this solution at work all the time to switch multiple poles with one logic output from a PLC. One specific relay board comes to mind. Noby JS1. It has two sets of NO and NC connections each. U can use three of them and a switch, then you have a 6 pole rocker switch.

I only have docu on it Norwegian, so no link. If you are unavailable to get that or other relays, I am able to supply them cheap occasionally.

Their control voltage is 10-30vdc. Can each relay can candle 47w, quite a bit, but they are small. I would say about 2x6 cm or so. If I were to build a electro mechanical solutions those are the ones i would use. But most likely I would do a transitor switch kinda design, but that requires some knowlegde about design. Relays and switches is very easy to understand, even for a beginner.