Silly question about pull up resistors on DIN modules

m00dawg

I read on uCApps that the pull-up resistors on the serial lines (R33-R36) are for if an IC is not plugged into a socket. I'm using SMD SRs directly on my control surface boards such that I really only need a pull-up on the serial line for the last SR on the board before it goes to the next set of pin headers, correct?

So basically:

J9 In Header -> SR -> ... -> SR ->---+---> J9 Out Header

|  

Resistor

|

+5V

Hopefully that makes sense :) Basically the resistor is before the J9-Out in case there is not another board (and thus another set of SRs) connected to that header.

Edited by m00dawg

I was always going to have it for my output headers. All the stuff on each control surface module will always be populated (wouldn't make sense not to). But, for instance, my last control surface part in my chain (the ENV/OSC section) still has output headers if I wanted to add another module in the chain.

So the question was if I needed resistors for the SRs on the same control surface board. Sounds like it's a no. On the other hand, I already have them laid out and routed on all my boards so it can't hurt to keep them there I don't think. Not having them would give me more room for my ground and power planes though.