OLED Thread

technobreath

Hi,

After I started building my enclosure for my SID synth, there has been some talk about wich display to use for it. And I was immediatly happy with the idea of OLED. Looks really nice, superb contrast, clear colors etc.

However, me being a some kind of a newbie on display selection, I quickly ran into trouble. I found out that many of the OLEDs require custom driver programming - wich I am not, a programmer. So short story, I have had big trouble finding out wich ones are compatible out of the box - some are confirmed to work and some confirmed NOT to work. And I also have trouble getting the color I need.

Most usual colors are available, but not in all forms. For example, the only white OLEDs I could find were at Reichelt (creds to jojjelito for tip) but they were only 2x16, wich is fine for a midibox64, but kinda too little for the mbSID :).

So here is my idea. I haven't seen another thread about it, so I gathered I'd make one myself.

What if we make a thread here, where people can contribute with their info on what types of OLEDs, size, color, controller, compatibility, wich they find or know about.

There are a few popular pages where people here use to find displays, for example newhaven, crystalfontz and not least ebay.

It would be interesting if we could gather as much sources for OLEDs (and LCD wich diserve to compete in some way hehe) as possible in one thread, and maybe it should end up in the wiki if there is enough info after a while, where it is easier to update and maintain.

Let's see where this takes us! :)

Ok, here is my experience from the last year:

* Newhaven 20x2 OLED (@Mouser) in yellow or green - SEEMS to be compatible, works out of the box in a waldorf micro q

* Newhaven 20x4 OLED (@Mouser) in yellow or green - NOT compatible with MB6582 4-bit driver out-of-the-box

* Electronic Assembly 20x4 OLED (@Electronic Assembly, Munich) - NOT compatible with MB6582 4-bit driver out-of-the-box (identical to Newhaven display?)

* Newhaven 256x64 graphical OLED (@Mouser) - compatible for user projects (LPC17, not MBSID V2), connectivity and code work on the way (see "Voxel Demo" thread).

Bye,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye