MBHP_CORE_LPC17 and CopperLan

midiMad8051

Guys,

I've just received my MBHP_CORE_LPC17 kit from SmashTv and looking forward in getting something going in the next week or two.

I was wanting to make a midi router 4 x 4 which allows merging of midi streams from the USB interface to the standard midi hardware on board and also able to filter midi data on any stream. Having MIOS32 make this relatively easy reason why I went with the uCapps way!

Since the LPC17 has Ethernet using uIP stack there doesn't seem to be much around regarding using ethernet to its best advantage. I have a keen interest to see if the was any legs on getting CopperLan protocol working on this hardward? Both midi routing and DMX over CopperLan a sinch!

Protocol IEEE 0x8927 rather than IP or UDP is 2/3 lighter.

Worth checking out the website.

www.CopperLan.org

I believe it to be better method than RTPMidi and OSC at the moment and since the source code is available, shouldn't be all that hard to implement on the ARM with the uIP stack since it uses RAW over IP and UDP?

Cheers

midiMad8051

Edited by midiMad8051

This has been discussed. But you probably don't have access to the programmers launch. So a quick snippet:

I stumbled upon the Copperlan website today and remembered this topic. So just wondering if this is still current or has it been abandoned?

They wanted to contact me when a open source solution is available, but still no update.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Edited by Shuriken

• 2 weeks later...

Btw.: still no update, it seems that they prefer to work with commercial business partners.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi all,

Yes, it took a while, but we now have set up a model for non-commercial hardware (freeware model was already in place).

There is no licence cost for non-commercial projects.

We have a reference design that is free to copy or modify. (Copperduino)

There are example applications from which you can build up yours.

We have to start somewhere, so this is our first shot.

Bring your comments and we'll move forward with you.

Thank you,

Eric

Hi Eric,

the hardware and the client API look promissing, but before buying a Copperduino board for evaluation purposes, I would like to know:

1) if the UART based interface of the CopperLan/Ethernet processor is directly accessible?

This would allow me to connect it with a MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module without using the "application processor" as an unnecessary bridge.

Background: the Arduino pinout isn't sufficient for most existing MIDIbox hardware, and porting MIOS32 to PIC32 would be a step back compared to LPC1769 and future, even more powerful processors.

2) are you planning to provide less costly boards without the application processor in future?

I'm asking because costs and efforts for creating and selling an own board would be too high at our side.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Eric,

the hardware and the client API look promissing, but before buying a Copperduino board for evaluation purposes, I would like to know:

1) if the UART based interface of the CopperLan/Ethernet processor is directly accessible?

This would allow me to connect it with a MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module without using the "application processor" as an unnecessary bridge.

Background: the Arduino pinout isn't sufficient for most existing MIDIbox hardware, and porting MIOS32 to PIC32 would be a step back compared to LPC1769 and future, even more powerful processors.

2) are you planning to provide less costly boards without the application processor in future?

I'm asking because costs and efforts for creating and selling an own board would be too high at our side.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

Your concerns and requests are 100% valid and understood.

The Copperduino intent is for quick validation in various contexts without using a soldering iron :rolleyes:

In addition to the Copperduino, we now have exactly what you are asking:

CP-DEV_600px.jpg

This board presents the CopperLan/Ethernet circuit found on the Copperduino.

It is only recently available and still needs to be documented on the web site.

We also need to decide on the pricing, but it will definitely be cheaper than the Copperduino.

The communication between the CopperLan dedicated MCU and it's client processor is done through a simple UART link.

The Baud rate is jumper defined among 15 values up to 20MBaud.

There is an on-board voltage regulator.

Hardware implementation details are available here. (needs registration to access)

To put in your LPC17, we provide the client code in ANSI C. This is the code you compile together with your application code.

This code is offering access to the full CopperLan API through RPC (remote process control).

All the code examples from the Copperduino web site can be used as starting points to understand how things work and copy/paste in the LPC17 environment.

I'll be pleased assisting you in your discovery and integration with your system.

Eric

Edited by Copperhead

These are great news!

I had a look into the programming examples, they are well structured.

An adaption to MIOS32 should be possible without much effort.

Feel free to announce the board here once it's available! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.