Can't save drums

wicked1

I build the samichFM and finally noticed an issue. I can't save drum sounds. Or upload the drum set presets. When I scroll through the drums, it goes up to #5, but all five sets are the same. When I upload the 16 presets, it counts up to 16 and does sound different, until I try to change the drum set. Then it goes back to the 5.

I've loaded/saved the synth presets to several banks w/out trouble.

I build the samichFM and finally noticed an issue. I can't save drum sounds. Or upload the drum set presets. When I scroll through the drums, it goes up to #5, but all five sets are the same. When I upload the 16 presets, it counts up to 16 and does sound different, until I try to change the drum set. Then it goes back to the 5.

I've loaded/saved the synth presets to several banks w/out trouble.

Question: Are you using a full Compliment of Bank sticks?

The reason I asked is because it is specified in the MBSid manual that the last bank stick (Bank Stick 7, or the eighth bank stick as the first Bankstick is numbered 0) is reserved for Ensembles. Drum kits, unless I miss my guess, would qualify as ensembles.

Course, I could be wrong: I'm new to all this, myself. You could possibly use a Bank stick wired to address 7 and bypass the other bank sticks, but you would be cheating yourself on this, in the end.

DB

Edited by Shadoclaw

In looking at the manual, each bankstick can store both normal patches and drums so I don't think lack of a bandstick is the issue. A faulty chip /maybe/ but that's sort of just a guess. I don't seem to have this problem with my sammichFM, but I also have only saved about 3 drum patches.

*scratches head*

All are populated, and I can save patches to banks A through E.

Since drums are working for others, I suppose I'll resolder the sockets and reseat the IC's.

Will reloading the firmware reformat them? I'd like to switch their order, as one in the kit had a bunch of bent pins. The rest looked new.

Ok, I uploaded the SID firmware, and it formatted them. Then I re-uploaded the FM firmware and it formatted them again.

I resoldered and tested all of the connections. I've changed the order of the memory chips. The problem remains.

What's odd is I can dump the drum bank (to a computer), and it records 16 drum patches. But, the FM still only goes to 5. And same as before, I upload and it counts to 16 and sits on 16, but as soon as I change the drum patch, it jumps down to 4, and only 5 are available.. nothing was saved.

I'm 99.99% sure it's not anything on the circuit board. I've tested every one of the 40 connections from the memory IC leads to wherever they go, and it's all good.

Is there any chance something changed in the firmware since people built these? I can save and dump and load to any of the 5 ensamble or patch banks.

Edited by wicked1

anyone know where I can download previous versions of the firmware? I'd like to try 1.4 (w/out the b, c, or d) Both C and D had changes to the percussion section.

I could be totally wrong, and maybe there is an issue on my board.. But logically... Why can I save anything else to any of the 5 chips, just not drums? And as I said, I tested every connection for continuity, volts, and shorts, and they're all good.

I've compiled old versions of the software, reuploaded MIOS, then reflashed older FM software, reformatted the sticks, and still the same problem. So, now I'm pretty confident the software is not the issue. (Sorry for questioning the developers work, but it seemed the most logical path)

What I don't get is even w/ no memory, it shows 5 banks w/ *'s next to them, so it knows there's no memory. But shouldn't it go to 16? Why does it show only 5 banks w/ or w/out memory in there? I don't understand how hardware could cause that, but it must be. I'll recheck everything on both boards.. (I was focusing on the mem section)

I give up!! I've refluxed and resoldered every component! they're tiny boards, so not much to check on them. I'm great w/ analog circuits, but PIC's and programming are foreign to me... The analog circuitry side of me can not figure out this issue. It doesn't make sense. (I'm sure due to my lack of PIC knowledge)

If anyone can think of anything else for me to try, let me know.

It's now fixed in MBFM V1.4e

MIDIboxFM V1.4e
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o all drumsets are selectable again (previously only A1..A5)

o presets/midibox_fm_drumsets.syx has been overworked, it now
contains 16 *different* drumsets

o changed encoder mode to MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED3
since it's compatible with most encoders
[/code]

Here a demo of the new drumsets:

http://www.ucapps.de/mp3/midibox_fm/mbfm_drumsets.mp3

Best Regards, Thorsten.