Sega Saturn

Napalmtree

I've been scouring the internet.

I don't think anyone's touched the sega saturn's YMF292 SCSP.

The only ways I've found for people to do anything with this chip are 

mario paint style games or if you buy Sophie (saturn dev kit) from ebay for 600 bucks.

Surprised no one's pulled the chip or written a music controller/sequencer program.

There was a Japanese game that was basically piano hero that came with a midi interface,

but no music creation or sound controls.

Edited by Napalmtree

On the one hand, as Shuriken said, it looks pretty difficult, and you'd be dealing with sampled audio so you'd need an entirely separate ADC and probably dedicated processor to put what you're sampling into its RAM.

On the other hand, if it makes no distinction between sample operators and FM operators, it sounds like you can FM-modulate the sample, which is pretty advanced. Add in a live sampling capability and this could be a pretty crazy machine.

Overall, I think this thread belongs in the "Pipe Dreams" section of the forum. :rofl:

If you have the schematics for the Saturn the hardware side is probably within grasp. I think this chip is too rare for it to make sense... and pulling those LQFP chips without proper desoldering gear is not going to be fun.

At the end of the day, though, I think you'd spend as much time implementing the software to control this thing reliably as you would implementing comparable functionality in an FPGA or software. Wavetable-based FM isn't exactly rocket science.

Edited by niklasni1