SEQ gates on DOUT?

latigid on

With the discussion on the CV V2 topic 

I'm thinking about what this means for the SEQ application. I would like to have both in a modular set up: MBSEQ for, well, sequences, and MBCV for interesting envelopes, LFOs, bussed knob controllers, scopes etc.

There's a bit of overlap: the SEQ sends out 8 channels of CV/Gate and DIN SYNC while the MBCV can additionally output more clock signals and receive analogue inputs and a clock as control sources.

The use of balanced line drivers will be useful for both boxes for AOUT, but how about the digital signals? 

The hardware config file for the SEQ lists SR outputs for gates, so is there a possibility of avoiding J5A/B etc. and just sending the balanced DOUT SRIO chain instead? 

And what about LED indication for the gates? Could a different SR output a 5 V signal to turn a gate on and off? Reading the config file maybe this is not possible, what is the explanation? The parts count would be a bit lower than using common emitter LED drivers.

Simply add another pair of line drivers to drive the DOUT alongside the other line driver for the AOUT.

As you concluded, if you need 8 gates each with their own LED indicator, then use 2 DOUT signals: one for the gate and one for the LED.

This may not be available in the default MIDIbox NG configuration, in which case it should be added, no question.

The hardware config file for the SEQ lists SR outputs for gates, so is there a possibility of avoiding J5A/B etc. and just sending the balanced DOUT SRIO chain instead? 

It isn't possible yet to forward the J5 based gates to a DOUT SR, but I'm planning this for the future.

Because I've the same interest, I want to use my breakout board on a MBCV and MBSEQ

Best Regards, Thorsten.