HUI controller questions

the19thbear

Hi. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.. but:

Is HUI the same as Mackie control?

A couple of questions. I really want to be able to control plugins in HUI mode, and preferably with more than 8 v pots. Is that possible? Or do you have to go by banks? Would love to have/make a controller that had, say 32 pots to control plugins via HUI (no banks).

Do they HAVE to be encoders? Is it possible to use normal pots?

Can you modify existing controllers to use HUI? I have a bitstream 3x which i can't get working in HUI mode, but since its customisable, maybe i could make a new HUI template.

If i go the DIY way - is it possible to have a controller that can switch between HUI/makcie and normal midi CC mode without being turned off/on?

Thanks a ton!

Edited by the19thbear

If you look at Mackie's C4 controller (which has 32 encoders), then what you want to do certainly seems possible. However, whether all of those 32 encoders can be used at once to control plugins is probably a software / protocol question, rather than a hardware question.

It is totally feasible to use normal pots instead of encoders, because in the end you are just sending MIDI signals, and MIDIbox doesn't really care how these are controlled, i.e. from pots or from encoders. That's also why it should not be necessary to switch off the controller to switch between Mackie Control protocol and HUI protocol (should these be different) - it just needs to send the correct MIDI data.

Cool.. is there any way to convert a rotary encoder input to an analog input? (connecting a normal pot to, say a bcr200 midi controller that normally uses rotary encoders), or is that a big hassle?

I have googled around and i really can't see any info on how many encoders can be used for plugin control… i'll keep on looking.

thanks again.

Cool.. is there any way to convert a rotary encoder input to an analog input? (connecting a normal pot to, say a bcr200 midi controller that normally uses rotary encoders), or is that a big hassle?

Big hassle, and no point in doing that. When building a MIDIbox, simply choose either according to your needs and preferences.

• 7 months later...

Hui protocol "pack" ?

MotorMix protocol "Pack" ?

..This is the "question" ....  

Still looking for a unit with  24/32 rotary pots (8 rotary are not enough)

Include Lcd , for "True" real time control Synths and plug ins in pro tools ...

but nothing more ..around ...

(except for f.... expensive contol 24 or C24 , include service for repair and spares ..) 

Can be the midibox a solution that "work properly" ?

:sad:

Edited by zener