Couple of JDM questions

Guest XORNOT

A few things I'm wondering before building a JDM:

- Anyone know if I can I use this for the 16F628 as well? Didn't see this mentioned anywhere.

- Does anyone know if there is Linux software for programming the JDMs?

- Are these fairly easy to do on vectorboard? And if anyone has a close up pic of it on vectorboard, please post the link. Also, any opinions on whether to copy Thorsten's layout or Smash's. ( I'm in Canada, so will probably be ordering from the U.S. )

Thanks,

Iain

Hi Iain,

programming a PIC16F628 with JDM & ICprog fails. I guess that this is an imperfection at the software side, since other chips are working ok

JDM under Linux: I would also be interested in a solution!

Vectorboard: I made my first JDM on a vectorboard, it was easy and still works w/o problems. I don't have a picture of the bottom right here (just only the small picture which can be found at the MBHP_JDM page), but the placement & routing is just a 1:1 copy of the schematic.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for the reply. = )

I guess as long as I can do 18F452s and 16F877s I don't need to do the 16F628s. I just read that they were the new "beginner all around" chip for toying with. It will do the 16F84A though right?

If I stumble across a linux solution I'll be sure to post it back here!

Iain

• 5 years later...

so if i made an adapter with a switch routing rb3 to pin 9 and 10 i could successfully use it for both pics. cool

i guess what im asking is that the MBHP software will allow me to burn code to the 16F628?

i didnt see it spec'd anywhere on the wiki sites or on the MBHP burner page.

Ive heard good reports of this burner over others so im keen to see if it can be used for my current project

well my current projects wont use mios but in the future i will be so in keen to find a solid burner for all occasions

i need the 16f88 to midi-fy my seb francis boxotrix, and the 16f628 is for a gameboy midi controller

after my mb808 im looking to build another drum machine and i will want to burn my own pic for that using this burner

can the mbhp software handle non-mios applications?

so if i made an adapter with a switch routing rb3 to pin 9 and 10 i could successfully use it for both pics. cool

well switching between one or the other yeh ;)

i guess what im asking is that the MBHP software will allow me to burn code to the 16F628?

i didnt see it spec'd anywhere on the wiki sites or on the MBHP burner page.

Well there isn't any MBHP software so to speak... There's MIOS, which only runs on PIC18F devices, and there are some apps for 16F88s and some older chips too. There is the MBHP (MIDIbox Hardware Platform) burner which is hardware as MBHP suggests, but it can use various applications to drive it to burn your chips.

What are you trying to do exactly? Maybe we can give better advice if we have more direction :)

sure thnx stryd

i need to put this code onto the pic16f88

http://burnit.co.uk/sdiy/index.php?page=boxotrix&subpage=code

and i need to put this code onto the pic16F628

http://www.firestarter-music.de/lsdj/lsdjmc2_v1_4.hex

as you can probably tell the world of burning pics is a whole new thing to me

so please let me know if there is some fundamental differences that im missing somewhere

Ahh cool :) Good luck with those projects BTW, feel free to post them in misc when it's sorted!

Yeh essentially, the MBHP Burner module can be considered to be a type of Tait burner clone. There are various apps which can be used to control the burner from your PC, and that's where the spcifics lie,.. but they aren't really mbhp software or MIDIbox specific, they're just apps for PIC burning in general.

As we know which apps work best with the MBHP burner hardware, those are a good choice to use to burn these chips if you can... But it's not a 'must', so if the other forums recommend some other software, and it works with the MBHP burner, thats great :)