ENC28J60 Module For Arduino - Possible MBHP Ethernet Replacement?

Rowan

I have been looking at sourcing parts for a MBHP Ethernet module and I came across generic ENC28J60 modules intended for the Arduino.

There seem to be three variants available and they seem to have almost identical schematics to the MBHP design, I'm guessing they are all based on the Microchip reference design for the ENC28J60.

These models can be purchased very cheap on eBay... Less than $3 (USD) with free postage if you buy from Hong Kong. Just search enc28j60 on eBay and you'll find them.

I have ordered one from a UK seller at a cost of £4 to try out. If it does work it could be the perfect alternative for the MBHP solution.

Once it's arrived and I have tested it I'll report back.

I ordered one of these for €2.95 from Hong Kong a few days ago. I'm in no hurry ;-) The configuration of the 10-pin connector is of course not compatible with the MIDIbox J16 connector. But I don't see a reason why this should not work. I'm looking forward to your test results.

I received the board today and it works!

One point to note is that the board would not work correctly when supplied with 3.3v, it needed 5v to spring fully into life. When I was researching this a few days ago I came across a few people online saying the same thing. I'll look into why it's not working with 3.3v but right now I'm happy that it's working.

post-3551-0-25822700-1424990616_thumb.jppost-3551-0-29995500-1424990764_thumb.jppost-3551-0-84911000-1424990796_thumb.jp

Edited by Rowan

• 4 weeks later...
After a bit of messing about and learning the basics of how SPI works I have been able to successfully connect a SD Card and the ENC28J60 board simultaneously to J16 of a SMT32F4 core.

hi

are you making some kind of device for midi applications ?

peace

z