MidboxSEQ for composition

mongrol

Hi folks,

I've read in a few places that Midibox isn't suitable for song composition. I see it has a song mode that allows chaining of patterns and I'm wondering if this is still true, or out of date information. I currently use a Midirex for full arrangement. It's a 4 track realtime recording sequencer with a pattern chaining mode and I work quite well with it. Being realtime though it's impossible to edit, or add CC's without directly recording them so I'd like to move to something that provides both realtime and step recording. Midibox looks good for this.

Is the song mode functional enough to do a full arrangement?

8 hours ago, mongrol said:

Hi folks,

Hi mongrol,

I've read in a few places that Midibox isn't suitable for song composition.

Where did you read this ;)

I see it has a song mode that allows chaining of patterns and I'm wondering if this is still true, or out of date information.

MIDIbox only adds features, never takes them away :)

I currently use a Midirex for full arrangement. It's a 4 track realtime recording sequencer with a pattern chaining mode and I work quite well with it. Being realtime though it's impossible to edit, or add CC's without directly recording them so I'd like to move to something that provides both realtime and step recording. Midibox looks good for this.

Is the song mode functional enough to do a full arrangement?

I've never gotten to grips with full compositions done on hardware, although it's available in many units like the SEQ, machinedrum, probably electribes etc. and I want to work on this when my setup is more solidified. That said, live recording is built into the SEQ and all parameters should be tweakable. 16 tracks should be plenty and if you really get into it you can modify tracks with other "loopback" tracks. It's just a question of whether you gel with the interface. There's not a lot of risk and you keep the option using both units.

Realtime recording demo by stuartm

You might also be interested in the MBLoopA by Hawkeye

Thanks for that. I read it on the wiki, and on another forum from someone who also read it on the wiki. It certainly seems to do the job, and a whole lot more although the interface is naturally a lot more complex than my MidiREX. Incidentally, the MBLoopA is basically the same as a MidiREX with fancy graphics so I already have that. I'll build a Midibox anyway. Looks like a great project.

Features of the Midibox SEQ V4:

• optimized for live playing and editing
  • intuitive user interface with flat menu hierarchy, wide screen display (2 * 2x40 = 160 characters) and 16+1 rotary encoders with menu page dependent "soft function".
  • multiple MIDI Out ports (up to 12) for reduced MIDI latency
  • up to 4 MIDI In ports (e.g. for separated MIDI clock and MIDI keyboard inputs)
  • USB interface which supports USB MIDI protocol to send events more than 100 times faster
  • optional Ethernet interface for sending/receiving OSC packets (or MIDI events embedded into OSC packets)
  • every parameter can be modified in realtime w/o affecting the sequencer timings
  • one sequencer pattern consists of 4 independent tracks
  • four patterns can be played at the same time -> makes 16 tracks
  • each track consists of up to 16 layers which can be assigned to various parameters (e.g. Note/Velcity/Gatelength/Chords/CC/PitchBender/Delay/Probability/Roll)
  • Transpose and Arpeggiator function
  • Force-to-Scale function with 166 predefined scales
  • Track directions: Forward/Backward/PingPong/Pendulum/Random Dir/Random Step
  • Track direction progressive parameters (Step Forward, Jump Back, Repeat, Interval, Skip, Repeat)
  • free adjustable clock divider for each track. Supported timebases 1..256, normal and tripled
  • available length for every track: 1-256 steps
  • with 384ppqn resolution, 256th notes can be played
  • loop point within track
  • step events can be triggered multiple times (up to 4 times per step) with a delay value of 1-31 to realize drumrolls, ratterbeats, flams...
  • 8 trigger layers for Gate/Skip/Accent/Glide/Roll/Random Gate/Random Value/No Fx
  • various Groove styles (shuffle/inverted shuffle/...) + customizable Groove Templates (Delay/Length/Velocity)
  • Humanizer function (random modification of note/velocity/gatelength)
  • Pattern Morphing, controllable in 128 steps with a Modulation Wheel
  • Echo Fx with Repeat/Delay/Feedback/Note increment/Gatelength/Delay parameters
  • LFO Fx with different waveforms, synchronized period length, adjustable reset point, phase, OneShot mode. Assignable to Note/Velocity/Length/CC
  • Note Limiter Fx
  • Manual step triggering
  • Step and Realtime Record function
  • Copy/Paste/Clear function
  • Scroll and Step Move function
  • Random and Euclidean pattern generator
  • Undo function
  • parameters of multiple steps can be changed relatively and absolutely with a single rotary encoder
  • parameters of multiple tracks can be changed the same time with a single rotary encoder
  • Tracks and parameter layers can be muted
  • Accent/Slide/CC sequences
  • inbuilt MIDI mixer/controller with 128 free definable mixer maps
  • inbuilt MIDI router
  • virtual "Loopback port" for Master/Slave tracks
  • split function for Transposer/Arpeggiator
  • 8 optional CV outputs and gates for analog gear
  • CV outputs can also be accessed from MIDI In (-> replaces a CV interface)
  • 64 optional 1 mS drum trigger outputs
  • 8*128 patterns are stored on SD Card
  • 128 mixer maps are stored on SD Card
  • pattern sets can be looped and chained in song mode
  • phrase mode which allows to switch between the 16 predefined pattern sets (for fills/breaks/chorus, etc...)
  • pattern switching can be synchronized to the measure
  • MIDI Remote functions
  • 2.5-300 BPM (MIDI clock master)
  • external sync (MIDI clock slave)
  • DIN sync output for controlling vintage sequencers
  • works with 16x MIDI clock resolution (384 ppqn)
  • several hardware options (e.g. a 64 Button/Duo-LED matrix)
  • details and demo samples in the User Manual
  • DIY ONLY!!! (commercial release neither planned, nor allowed!)