SEQ BOM post

mongrol

Hi,

As part of my build I now have a fairly solid BOM for a vanilla SEQv4. These are exported Mouser and Reichelt carts and a couple of extra items that need to be procured elsewhere. Being in Australia I've aimed at getting parts from global suppliers instead of region specific.

As a newcomer to the community I've experienced the process of gathering up the information needed for a vanilla build from various posts and wiki pages etc. Most of which, while being very good contain now out of date information. I also believe that once a newcomer has scanned through the various wiki's they'll end up in this forum before anywhere else. I think there's value in maintaining a BOM post in this forum for a vanilla build to catch the eye of new people scanning through looking for how to build information. Thoughts?

The wiki does tend to get neglected though. And new users generally don't have write access...

While the BLM is a much smaller project, I think the concept of a "build thread" is nice as it's a chronological sequence :) of information. The OP, as long as they're planning to stay for a while, can update the first post to separate the good info from general chatter. It also seems more inclusive as there's a real discussion of ideas and problem solving. 

That said, it's a really good idea to backup the data to another location. A good example was the Great Muffwiggler Outage of 2015, where after a hacking incident the owner was so very close to giving up on months (years?) worth of invaluable posts until a brave knight came along and worked on a restore process. Lesson: backup your backups! 

I don't think there is an ideal solution for this. A topic will still require a new person to scan through it. Linking to a mouser/reichelt bom can be handy. But also requires rework when things go eol. And it only works with stores who provide such an option. A bom on google docs requires a lot of copy+paste. And so everything has something to be left desired.

Case on point being the desperate cries for help over at the Yocto forum as soon as inexperienced builders who are sold on the idea on getting an 808 have trouble as soon as some polyfilm cap is EOL at Mouser.

Linked BoM lists are handy, but it would be nice if people didn't take them as gospel.

Good feedback. Thanks folks. I'm not long enough in this game to understand how quickly items go out of date. I agree the wiki is the best place for this kind of thing though I've found it to be a bit disconnected and also contains out of date info. This will happen no matter where we put it. I'll keep the BOM in my build thread in Tips n Tricks and park the idea until I gain more community experience. The problem there though is I lose the viewpoint of a newcomer which I was trying to capitalise on while I'm still fresh. :)