Alps Rotary Encoders

siddhu

Steven,

Before I buy my rotary encoders, i have just a couple of questions I was hoping you could answer. Farnell has ALPS rotary encoders (http://international2.farnell.com/Search/level_5.jhtml?PRODID=46925&SKUID=44864) and their datasheet says they can be modified to be non-detented. Is this what you mean by removing the spring, and does this mean they no longer 'click'?

Also, the datasheet says they can be modified to a push on switch. Does this mean you could create a jog wheel that needs to be pushed in a little before it will send data?

Cheers.

Is this what you mean by removing the spring, and does this mean they no longer 'click'?
Yes.

Dunno about the button thing. But you could have a N.O. single pole double throw pushbutton switch next to the jog wheel, that disconnects the appropriate two connections of the encoder, mounted near the encoder, so it only sends impulses when the button is pressed. The Fairlight MFX3+ DAW system is operationally like this. (though not electronically)

Thanks Steven,

I've already considered having a seperate button to enable/disable the jog wheel. But what I'm trying for is one-handed operation so it can be used for live "scratching" of sound files.

Thorsten mentions on the MIDIBox64E page that "There are also encoders available with built-in switch (button), which could be connected to some free DIN inputs" so i'm guessing these are the encoders he is refering to. I'm just wondering if the encoder can be setup so that  the built in switch can be used to activate/deactive itself, or only as a button hooked up to something different.

If it can't be done then I wonder if some programming could be done to only send pulses when the button is depressed?

I wonder if some programming could be done to only send pulses when the button is depressed?

I'm sure it could, but don't look at me!

Keep your eyes open, for secondhand encoders. I got a computer monitor off the side of the road, which has an encoder for the inbuilt amplifier volume knob, and it has an inbuilt button! do a forum search on 'encoder' as I'm sure I've seen a link to suppliers of encoders with buttons. If you get really stuck, I will sort you out with one.

• 1 month later...