New LPC1769 Boards And MIOS

toneburst

Haven't posted here for many years..

Quick question: does anyone know if the new LPCXPRESSO, Cortex M3-based devboards from NXP are compatible with MIOS?

If so, is it pin-compatible with the old version, and would code for the old version work on it without modification?

The old ones that the LPC-based MB Core is based on seem to no longer be available.

Apologies if this has already been covered (as I said, I've been away). I did a quick search, but didn't find any posts on it.

Cheers,

a|x

I made a write up on how to get the new D version running. Works no problem. The only issue is if you are using the PCB from Smash LPC slightly moved the pins several versions back. Did not change the pin order just made it challenging to solder. If you have the PCB and line everything up before you solder you should be good.

You can likely get the code running on the teensy. I would expect to have to look at the timing and pin assignments to get it working along with memory mapping. It really depends if they have done things much different from ST. The teensy 3.x would likely be you best bet if you have one already to mess about with. It would have the same m4 processor and 3 serial, 2 i2c and 2 spi. If there are not conflicts and all those peripherals are actually available that would be a nice platform. I am not sure you are really gaining anything over a stm32f4 there though. They cost about the same. The only possible advantage I see there is a smaller footprint and maybe since it does not have the gyro maybe less conflicts depending how teensy wired things up on the board. The challenges would be the M4 crystal clock is not 168 on any of the 3x teensy so that would need to be adjusted for in porting. Maybe it would be easier to replace the crystal on the teensy. Not sure if that would break compatibility with programmers though. I have ported some code from one avr to another where it was just changing pin mapping but this would be a lot more involved. There is a lot of time saved with using a platform that is already up and running and bug tested. If you have the time and interest you should go for it though. Would be great addition for the community.

Hi @gerald.wert thanks for getting back to me!

Good to hear the new LPC is fine. I'm not planning to use it with a Core board, actually. The idea is to finally get around to making a proper PCB and case for the SpeakJet synth I made years ago.

It's a very minimal circuit, with just the LPC board, USB socket, SpeakJet and a simple low-pass filter on the SJ output.

So, just to double-confirm: the process of uploading the MIOS boot loader to the new LPC board is the same as with the previous one?

Re. Teensy etc. I don't think I have the skills to take on that project myself, unfortunately. I asked mainly because I happen to have a Teensy 3.x and Teensy LC board kicking around. As you say, they're slightly smaller, but also have a more powerful MCU than the LPC1769 (Cortex M4, as opposed to M3).

As for the NodeMCU, I think it would be really cool to do something with that and MIDI. Even without MIOS installed on it, if it could be controlled from a MIOS application, I think you could do some interesting things with it. How about have a web-controlled sequencer, for example? Or an wireless OSC sender/receiver?

Thanks again for the tips!

Cheers,

a|x

Edited by toneburst

http://midibox.org/forums/topic/20087-lpc1769-rev-d-board-how-to-load-bootloader/

Here is the bit to get it going and where to take off for the network rx/tx lights if you need them. You can not use the old instructions and programmer since they changed the programmer you need to use the newer version. Once you have the boot loader on there you just load you application as normal from mios studio. You should be totally fine if you are making your own board just be sure to put the pins in the right place. I think they changed pin spacing on rev C. So get the latest model for your cad program. You do not have to cut the programmer off anymore either there is a jumper to enable it on the new board.

Yes the stm core has the M4 too. You get a lot more processor over the M3. They are only $21 on digikey now. Super affordable. I picked one up on ebay for $19 including shipping recently. Might be worth looking at. I know I would spend a lot more than that in my time trying to port an application. My thriftiness also wants to use something I already have so is a struggle for me. :)  They are twice the size of the lpc though and that is including the programmer on the LPC  the LPC is 1/3 the size of the STM if you take the programmer off. Just if space is a consideration. With the audio jack and buttons it is taller too.

The node MCU is definitely interesting. I also like the getchip chip computers. I picked up a few for wireless print servers. they have Bluetooth, wifi, lipo charger, audio, video, good size flash would be perfect for anything you wanted mobile with network access to run from a battery.

Your welcome and good luck with your project! The speak jet always looked interesting to me but I never had the time to build one.

I have a spare LPC board here so if you do make a layout let me know maybe I can put it to use. Was thinking about using it with the TIA video adapter but have not gotten to it yet.

Gerald

Edited by gerald.wert

• 10 months later...