TPD testing and configuration questions.

gerald.wert

Just finished building my TPD. It is recommended on the WIKI to test everything before soldering the led displays in place as they cover several of the 595 IC. The schematic is good but there is a lot more data that would make testing go much quicker and easier. Here are the work sheets I put together to test my TPD. Hope this saves you from having to work this out on your own.

The following Dout assignments are with the TPD directly connected to the core with nothing in between. This is recommended for testing as you do not have to worry with anything else if your core is good.

Dout shift register chip chain order and pin counts

u1    u2     u6      u7      u8       u3      u4      u5        u9

0-7  8-15 16-23 24-31 32-39 40-47 48-55 56-63   64-71

SEG SEL  M2G  M2R  M2CA M1G  M1R  M1CA BiLEDS

U10 is on its own DIN serial chain.

DIN is easy to test just close the switch and you should see the pin toggle in the console.

To test Digital Out Shift Registers from the mios console:

Set dout 0 1 --> sets dout 0 to 5v

set dout 0 0 --> sets dout 0 to 0v I liked turning things off as I went so only the one that I was testing was on.

IC IC pin dout#   led pin          IC IC pin dout#   led pin          IC IC pin dout#    led pin

U3  1       40         10               U4  1        48         11               U5  1        56         12

2       41         7                       2        49          8                       2        57          9

3       42         4                       3        50          5                       3        58          6

4       43         1                       4        51          2                       4        59          3

5       44         22                     5        52          23                     5        60          24

6       45         19                     6        53          20                     6        61          21

7       46         16                     7        54          17                     7        62          18

15       47         13                     15       55          14                    15      63          15

IC IC pin dout#   led pin          IC IC pin dout#   led pin          IC IC pin dout#    led pin

U6  1       16         10               U7  1        24         11               U8  1        32         12

2       17         7                       2        25          8                       2        33          9

3       18         4                       3        26          5                       3        34          6

4       19         1                       4        27          2                       4        35          3

5       20         22                     5        28          23                     5        36          24

6       21         19                     6        29          20                     6        37          21

7       22         16                     7        30          17                     7        38          18

15       23         13                     15       31          14                    15      39          15

Led matrix pin out from top of board:

13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0

0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  10  11 12

For U1, U2, U9 and U10.  These IC are also not captive when the board is complete so you can get at them fairly easily. It would still be good to test everything with just the IC, caps, box header and resistors on the board. It is a lot easier to get at the ic legs with a soldering iron with the other components not in place.

IC IC pin dout#   led pin          IC IC pin dout#      led pin         IC IC pin dout#    led pin             IC     IC  Pin  Dev Pin

U1  1        0         a                  U2  1         8           Step 100      U9  1        64         G                 U10       11        ENC1

2       1          b                         2        9           Step 10              2        65         G                               12        ENC1

3       2          c                         3        10         Step 1                3        66         G                               13        ENC1 SW

4       3          d                         4        11         BPM 100            4        67         R                               14        Available

5       4          e                         5        12         BPM 10              5        68         R                                 3        SW1

6       5          f                          6        13         BPM 1                6        69         R                                 4        SW2

7       6          g                         7        14         BPM .1               7        70         R                                 5        SW3

15       7         DP                     15        15         Available           15       71         G                                 6        SW4  

Hope this makes your testing go much easier. I did this on paper and marked with red anything that was not working or just did not seem right.  I then went back and soldered anything that needed it again then retested. I am not sure why but some of those 595 pins just do not want to take solder. Maybe I just need more practice or flux.

on the encoder mine is turning backwards. I read elsewhere to set the config to the odd shift register instead of the even. I have not tried this yet but will give it a shot. Tested and I set the Encoder to 1 instead of 0 on the shift register and it is good to go now.

Does anyone know how to get the display to run in the other modes? I see in the sequencer program that there are other modes but I do not see a way to alter it.

Is there a pointer to the location of the text that displays on the TPD on startup? It plays "HW config v4l" on startup. I have not located it yet in the code but am looking.

I looked through the TPD wiki and the seq manual but do not see anything on the above.

Thanks for the great add on to the SEQ now I just need to get the panel cut for it.

Edited by gerald.wert
more testing

Thanks for that information! I have my TPD up and running, only problem is that the decimal point of the BPM display is not working. Haven't looked into that yet but your info definitely makes it easier.

The text you see scrolling at start up is the name of the active session. My guess is in your case it is the default text when no sessions are active. Press the Exit button until you see the firmware version in the left display. In the right display you should see /SESSIONS/<your active session name>

Just select SaveAs and enter the text you want. That text will be displayed in the TPD matrix display next time you boot the sequencer.

Ilmenator you are welcome to cut and paste it into the wiki. Might be nice to have it all in one place. Documentation is good to have. Great little board! Finished up the 16x4 last night too except for the leds. Want to get the panel ordered and fit them to the panel.

Beautyofdecay_ you probably just need to rework the solder on U1 pin 15 that is the pin for the decimal point. Those legs can be tricky getting them 100%. I am still working on my smd technique but what is helping on problem legs is small diameter solder (.015). I can bend it a bit and heat the leg from the top and put the solder in right under the leg and with that diameter have plenty of clearance to the other leg so no bridging. I also found keeping the tip really clean helps a lot. I use a solder sucker even if I get a little ball of solder on the tip. It really helps prevent bridging. I really need a smaller tip for smd but have not bought one yet.   

Thanks for the session information. I will try that. I just finished the sequencer and am just starting to now really get to use it. What a great sequencer.